Very nice outdoor wood burner - See video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Looks good. $50 pile of dry split cut wood that heats house for 3 weeks!! Is that a good deal?

Don2222 said:
Hello
Looks good. $50 pile of dry split cut wood that heats house for 3 weeks!! Is that a good deal?
Not to pick on your post, but you're on a forum where most folks are very partial toward gasification boilers, and tend to be negative on OWBs in general. Although some of the regulars here have used OWBs in the past, you won't get much (any?) positive feedback on the vid, even if that particular OWB is better than most. And, I didn't hear him say anything about DRY wood (and it sure doesn't look dry) - but he did say the bigger the better, which is fairy common with OWB usage. I believe that lots of OWB users prefer fresh cut wood, in order to make the burns last longer, resulting in their beloved nickname - smoke dragons. In many areas people get hostile toward these things, and it's hard to blame them when their property takes on the appearance of a Scottish moor (except that what's surrounding their house is not fog :sick:). This in turn often translates into proposed regs to ban ALL outdoor woodburning units, which affects the clean-burning gasification users as well. There may be a few folks who burn well-seasoned wood in their OWBs, but I think they are a very small minority. You will get the other side where the OWB community rails against the price of a gasifier. But in all cases this is an investment - just beg or borrow and it will pay for itself in a hurry. So, don't take this personally, and it may be the only reply you get to your question.

willworkforwood said:
Don2222 said:
Hello
Not to pick on your post, but you're on a forum where most folks are very partial toward gasification boilers, and tend to be negative on OWBs in general. Although some of the regulars here have used OWBs in the past, you won't get much (any?) positive feedback on the vid, even if that particular OWB is better than most. And, I didn't hear him say anything about DRY wood (and it sure doesn't look dry) - but he did say the bigger the better, which is fairy common with OWB usage. I believe that lots of OWB users prefer fresh cut wood, in order to make the burns last longer, resulting in their beloved nickname - smoke dragons. In many areas people get hostile toward these things, and it's hard to blame them when their property takes on the appearance of a Scottish moor (except that what's surrounding their house is not fog :sick:). This in turn often translates into proposed regs to ban ALL outdoor woodburning units, which affects the clean-burning gasification users as well. There may be a few folks who burn well-seasoned wood in their OWBs, but I think they are a very small minority. You will get the other side where the OWB community rails against the price of a gasifier. But in all cases this is an investment - just beg or borrow and it will pay for itself in a hurry. So, don't take this personally, and it may be the only reply you get to your question.

You have a good point. My home is about the same size and I can heat it very comfortably with a wood pellet stove.

To compare it takes about a bag per day of wood pellets or 21 bags for 3 weeks. At approx $4.00 per bag that is $82.00 for 3 weeks. With the stove in my warm basement and 24 hours of burn time it is alot less work!!

not sure where this gentlman lives, but thats a walk at 5:30 in the morn at 5 below. looks like a lot of btu's given back to ma nature. i have really been loving the slipper walk past the beer fridge to the 60 degree basement 3 (tonight 4 times, its cold outside here) times to get my tank up to 185-190. and i'm sure i'll appreciate it more in feb. (thanks again for all the help this site has given me!!) and there is no smoldering going on here. as for the wood consumption ill know in 2 more weeks but it has been minimal this last week. cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.