Victorian coal fireplace conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coal-to-?

Nov 23, 2020
Michigan
Hey, I'm new here! I'm trying to figure out how to convert my tiny coal opening to gas. Like most coal openings, it's quite small (20" length and 24" height at the cast iron surround).

Unfortunately, it looks like most north american direct vent units--even those designed for coal fireplaces--are a bit too big. British manufactures make lots of tiny inserts for such purposes. Is it possible to import such a unit?

I'm open to other options, but I'd like an insert so I don't have to mess with updating or lining the flu and fixing the stack, and I don't want to rip off the cast iron surround. Let me know if anyone has any creative solutions or knows anything about importing british units!

IMG_20201116_192716518.jpg 6105712362393606854.jpg

Im not a big valor fan but I think they might have an insert that works for you.

Thanks! Valor has a portrait series that would work length-wise. The height might be an issue (their portrait requires 25 1/2 inch height, but my cast iron grate is 24 inches. If they'd let me skip their front, I could sneak it in under my current cast iron front since there is enough height in my firebox. Not sure they'd permit that, but maybe I could get away with it...

Hey, I'm new here! I'm trying to figure out how to convert my tiny coal opening to gas. Like most coal openings, it's quite small (20" length and 24" height at the cast iron surround).

Unfortunately, it looks like most north american direct vent units--even those designed for coal fireplaces--are a bit too big. British manufactures make lots of tiny inserts for such purposes. Is it possible to import such a unit?

I'm open to other options, but I'd like an insert so I don't have to mess with updating or lining the flu and fixing the stack, and I don't want to rip off the cast iron surround. Let me know if anyone has any creative solutions or knows anything about importing british units!

View attachment 267554 View attachment 267555

Check with Obadiah's
(800) 968-8604
[email protected]
I think the owner is Annette if I remember correctly.
She got me a Coal affect buring stove many years ago Nat gas. Still useing it it matches the angles and design on tle facing of my fire place Britch Stove. The house is Victorin