Video of my Bixby stove setup...Burning pellets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simmerda

Aug 20, 2009
Eastern MA
I'm always telling friends/family about my Bixby. So, I decided to make a little video (with (mostly legit) commentary :)

As always, thanks for everyones continued input on this site and the other stove forums on the net.

Dave

Great video, Dave! I'm curious, what other pellet stove brands and models did you research before settling on the Bixby?

Nice Vid, looks like a legit this old house clip, Nice production. :)

Someone had one of these stoves on craigslist for $950, I wanted to get it, but.........

Simmerda,

What kind of fan are you using through the wall? How much noise does it make?

very well done and Bixby is a great stove. Good choice!

Dave, you said you clean the stove every 6 weeks using super premium pellets?? holy moly..!!
Does the unit have the pot stirer ?

I think you meant to clean the pipes.

Hi Dave

Welcome, very nice video.

When you said $600.00 per month for electric, did that include your Stove, Washer, Dryer and Electric Water Heater besides the heating?
If so how much is your electric bill each month while using your Bixby Stove?

Cool vid, very nice set up. welcome to Hearth, looking forward to more movies
:cheese: btw nice house.

Thanks for the kind words everybody...

With regards to my electric bill...my monthly is now about $65/month. That is covering all appliances in the house as we are 100% electric. So, during the coldest months of the winter I spend about $160 on pellets and $65 on electric. Not bad compared to heating with 100% electric.

This stove does not have a stirrer or anything like that. It simply does and ash dump every 16-20 hours depending on settings. After about 6 weeks I have a full ash drawer and about 2 inches of ash built up on the plates in the stove. I have let it go go about two months in the past with no side effects, I just had to empty the ash drawer as it was completely full...

I have never had any sort of jam issue burning pellets.

I also can't stress enough the difference burning really good quality pellets vs. cheaper brands. I choose to pay $275/ton vs. $189/ton that they offer at Home Depot, etc...

With this Bixby I can connect it to my computer via cable and adjust about 20 different perimeters...So, I can really dial in and get the most heat using the least amount of fuel. Images below:

9934_1235940214607_1112252408_734599_3233462_n.jpg

9934_1235940254608_1112252408_734600_5529995_n.jpg

I haven't come across any other stoves that can do that. Also, the hopper can hold about 100lbs of fuel. That allows for a really long burn time between fills. I have gone away for 3 days, left the stove on low and she was running like a top when I returned.

Dave

simmerda said:
With this Bixby I can connect it to my computer via cable and adjust about 20 different perimeters...So, I can really dial in and get the most heat using the least amount of fuel.

Man I wish my stove has had all those knobs to adjust. By the time I'm ready for my next stove I hope the controller has wi-fi and a web interface.

Only $65 a month for electric @ about .19-.20 cents per KWHR? And heating with less than a bag a day? How are you heating domestic water , cooking, and drying clothes?

Nice stove Dave, thanks for sharing the video!
I know the system says you joined the forum
in 2009 but with only two posts I'm gonna
say welcome!

Great Video Dave. Always nice to see somebody else that takes time to fine tune their stove and to show what that stove can actually do. Obviously you have to provide good fuel and you do.
It takes a little time and experience to get it right but the end result is well worth the effort.
Ron

simmerda said:
Thanks for the kind words everybody...

With regards to my electric bill...my monthly is now about $65/month. That is covering all appliances in the house as we are 100% electric. So, during the coldest months of the winter I spend about $160 on pellets and $65 on electric. Not bad compared to heating with 100% electric.

This stove does not have a stirrer or anything like that. It simply does and ash dump every 16-20 hours depending on settings. After about 6 weeks I have a full ash drawer and about 2 inches of ash built up on the plates in the stove. I have let it go go about two months in the past with no side effects, I just had to empty the ash drawer as it was completely full...

I have never had any sort of jam issue burning pellets.

I also can't stress enough the difference burning really good quality pellets vs. cheaper brands. I choose to pay $275/ton vs. $189/ton that they offer at Home Depot, etc...

With this Bixby I can connect it to my computer via cable and adjust about 20 different perimeters...So, I can really dial in and get the most heat using the least amount of fuel. Images below:

9934_1235940214607_1112252408_734599_3233462_n.jpg

9934_1235940254608_1112252408_734600_5529995_n.jpg

I haven't come across any other stoves that can do that. Also, the hopper can hold about 100lbs of fuel. That allows for a really long burn time between fills. I have gone away for 3 days, left the stove on low and she was running like a top when I returned.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the additional info, very much appreciated!
Nice stove and I like the computer connection !!!

I just wanted to clarify my comment above...

I meant to say that I now spend about $65 on electric heating per month. That is to run the Bixby as well as a little heat I sometimes run in the basement to keep pipes from freezing, etc...my total electric bill is about $130 per month.

Thx. Ds

dave, what about your cleaning frequency for the stove?

I find it's really all about the quality of fuel you burn. For me, with the super premium pellets, I go 6-8 weeks between cleanings with no problem. With the lower quality big box store brands I found I was cleaning every week or two...

simmerda said:
I just wanted to clarify my comment above...

I meant to say that I now spend about $65 on electric heating per month. That is to run the Bixby as well as a little heat I sometimes run in the basement to keep pipes from freezing, etc...my total electric bill is about $130 per month.

Thx. Ds

OK, That sounds more realistic.
Thanks for clearing it up.
I too had electric heat , built the house for electric heat back in 1970. In 1996 I ripped out the electric heat ($3000+ per year)and installed a state of the art BB hot water oil system. I cut the heat bill more than half plus I heat the full finished basement too (2600 sq ft)and we are warm. Of course oil went sky high too but electric is absolutely out of sight for heating purposes..
Anyway with a pellet stove in the finished basement for the past few years I burn about 2 .5 tons of pellets and under 500 gals of oil of which half is for hot water. I`m not complaining.

Where did you get the software to tweak your Bixby? Also, did I read in another thread that Bixby's have Quad internals? If so, I wonder how close yours is to a Mt Vernon AE, and more importantly whether that software would work with a Mt Vernon? That would be very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.