Vigilant Questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PartTimeMainer

Mar 24, 2011
Salem,MA/Dexter,ME
Im thinking of buying a used VC Vigilant coal/wood stove. I've looked at most of the threads but still have a few questions.

1. Is there a particular year(s) to stay away from when buying these stoves?
2. where can I get an adapter to fit the existing 6" pipe I have to connect to the oval hole on the VC stove? I looked quick online and only see oval to 8"
3. where should I be looking for broken internals? most common areas.
4. I checked the VC website and it looks like they dont even make this stove in a wood burning version anymore. should I take that as a sign and find another stove?

any input from vigilant owners or others is appreciated.

That stove was made to run with an 8" chimney. If you have an existing 6" chimney, you might consider getting another stove. I've seen at least a couple of threads on here where Vigilant owners have tried to run them on a 6" chimney with poor draft results. Plus, you would get better efficiency with a newer stove (assuming you have dry wood).

There is an 8" oval to 6" round available, but its kind of expensive for a piece of single wall pipe.. about ~$70. Try www.discountstove.com

homebrewz said:
That stove was made to run with an 8" chimney. If you have an existing 6" chimney, you might consider getting another stove. I've seen at least a couple of threads on here where Vigilant owners have tried to run them on a 6" chimney with poor draft results.

Thanks for the info!, I thought that might be the reason why no 6" adapter. maybe i'll look at the spec's of the englander stoves I read so much about on here. for the price they're worth a look.

For the price of a decent used Vigilant (400-600) switching gears and looking at the Englander off season may get you a much better stove, better suited to your installation for right around the same price. Good call.

I was just looking at the englander 30nc, it looks like a nice stove with a big glass window that I was looking for(which I why I liked the vigilant) but the shape of the stove might be an issue. the Manual says the depth is 31" and with the position of the pipe hole the stove might protrude to far into the room. can someone with the 30nc installed tell me the measurement from the front of the hole to the front of the ash lip? I'm guessing from the manual that it's about 25"

Status
Not open for further replies.