Vindication - Covering vs. Not Covering The Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
For years here I have caught bank-shot grief about top covering the stacks the day the wood is split. Well, when Irene came through we went from 2.25 inches of rain behind for the year to 2.5 ahead. In twelve hours. Now this morning Lee started dropping rain on us at a steady pace that is forecast to continue all the way to Friday.

The six cord of oak top covered for three years doesn't seem to be paying much attention to the rain. :coolsmirk:

If that stuff had been sitting out waiting for a few dry sunny days between now and when we light off in a few weeks I would have been screwed.

I am still learning. But the way I will work it. Is to leave outside uncovered for 1 yr. Then put into my Woodshed which will hold over 3 Cord.

Had another Fire tonight BB. Wife went to sleep and the Fire was lit. Adult beverages for everyone (ME) that was involved. 2nd night installed. 2nd Fire.. The wood burning in the Pic is 2 splits of Pine and couple Cherry also. All pretty small, But Burned Great!!

BTW... How did you paint your stove??? Where did you find High Temp Brown paint??

I love this thing... Had a Fireplace for years. I dont know what I was waiting for???

Attachments

• Install done 6 (Air open).jpg
    Install done 6 (Air open).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 955
  • Install done 7 (Secondaries).jpg
    Install done 7 (Secondaries).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 961
I try not to get into discussions about people's belief systems, rather the base facts.
When you consider that dimension lumber producers try as possible to air-dry their lumber under cover of shed roof, that says it for me.

After some recent pre-Irene heavy rains on some partially-processed stacks, not far into the stack, splits were visibly wet days later where they touched. Irene would have really made a mess of this year's stacks, were they uncovered.

My theory is that sun, wind, and rain showers seem to do no harm to green wood, and I reckon leaving wood open for a year here works fine.

We usually get it very damp here around October - December (actually, 75% of our average rain falls in those 3 months), and those are months to be bringing dry wood indoors.

So all our wood that is dry gets covered.

I suspect it's all about your own local climate, what works well in some places would not be so good in others.

Hence the different opinions from various people on the forum.... ;-)

I've gotten alot of rain here recently and I've got alot of pine - pine tends to absorb more surface water or stay wetter than most woods. All I can say is that my pine is doing great uncovered, and everything below the first piece of the stack feels just fine despite many inches of rain. And some of these stacks are NOT ideal....

My plan is to bring a 3 week supply under cover - 2 weeks in the garage, 1 week under the porch.

One thing I like about the garage in the winter-time - not only is it very dry in there, but the act of putting, daily, 2 hunks of 400-500 pounds of HOT metal tends to further heat and dry out the air in there on a regular basis. I don't know how the air circulation is, and I would have to say that wetness on the concrete tends to hang around for awhile in winter, but I still think it's a good environment :)

Joe

I leave the bark on my wood.
It acts like a rain coat. It doesn't season, but it doesn't get wet and rot, either.

I throw away all that stuff that's too big and has to be split.

:)

lol

I actually peal the bark off every piece of my pine. Compared to every other wood, pine bark seems to work hard at trapping moisture under the entire wood surface. I find the pieces season vastly faster and it takes very little additional effort to peal some substantial pieces of bark off them each time I stack a piece.

I weigh the effort this way too: is it less effort to peal the pine bark off now then to struggle with a fire for 15 minutes in the winter months because it's got a pile of moisture under the bark to burn off.

BB, I was talking to my son who lives near Reading, PA and as he was driving home I looked up his weather forecast. Needless to say, he is not liking the forecast. Says they are swamped with water and it was raining quite hard as we talked. But around here, we need some rain! None in the forecast either.

Backwoods Savage said:
BB, I was talking to my son who lives near Reading, PA and as he was driving home I looked up his weather forecast. Needless to say, he is not liking the forecast. Says they are swamped with water and it was raining quite hard as we talked. But around here, we need some rain! None in the forecast either.

Plenty of rain here right now but not a washout so far like others are dealing with.. Sending some rain your way..

Ray

joefrompa said:
lol

I actually peal the bark off every piece of my pine. Compared to every other wood, pine bark seems to work hard at trapping moisture under the entire wood surface. I find the pieces season vastly faster and it takes very little additional effort to peal some substantial pieces of bark off them each time I stack a piece.

I weigh the effort this way too: is it less effort to peal the pine bark off now then to struggle with a fire for 15 minutes in the winter months because it's got a pile of moisture under the bark to burn off.

Finally, somebody posted something I barely have read about on Hearth.com, but experienced many times. Bark DOES tap moisture! I have had many VERY annoying fires that I struggled with, using 2 year seasoned Beech but the tarp leaked in a few spots and the wood got wet. The wood itself was well seasoned but peeling the bark back revealed a soaking wet layer of wood under a soaking wet layer of bark. I know some will say the leaky tarp trapped moisture, letting moisture in but preventing it from evaporating, but I don't buy it. At least with semi-lose Beech bark (and evidently also Pine according to joefrompa), any water that gets in there has a hard time getting back out and leads to struggling with the fire. So I say top covering is better than no cover, and peeling bark is not a waste of time. One exception, the first year of seasoning (before the bark gets lose) , its better to go uncovered.

I don't see how a rainy week is vindication for anyone. We all know it rains in Northern Virginia. It rains here too, and my firewood is getting wet. I am not saying that covering doesn't keep your wood drier in the rain, but is that vindication? I can't believe anyone tried to argue that a cover wouldn't keep rain off the stacks. If someone had done that, then yes, you would have vindication. If all of us who haven't covered our wood have problems this winter, then maybe you will have vindication. For now the only thing happening is what we all acknowledge happens when rain fall on uncovered firewood; the firewood gets wet. I look at the stacks out back and I see the rain running off the firewood without soaking in - at least that is what I keep telling myself.

i do leave mine uncovered for the seasoning prcoess. just after irene i moved the rest of my stacks into the wood shed. we had nice weather right after. the wind had dried the stacks completely. i think if you have your stacks tight, like a couple rows tight then maybe water would stay there longer. but being single stacked it was dry as a bone. But i do think believe that it is much better for the wood to have it in a shed for a couple months completly free from water before you burn it makes a big difference.

Backwoods Savage said:

Yeah my family lives in Texas. I am sure you know how bad they need the rain. How many years will the wood you burn this year have been top covered with those roofing sheets?

fire_man said:
joefrompa said:
lol

Finally, somebody posted something I barely have read about on Hearth.com, but experienced many times. Bark DOES tap moisture! I have had many VERY annoying fires that I struggled with, using 2 year seasoned Beech but the tarp leaked in a few spots and the wood got wet. The wood itself was well seasoned but peeling the bark back revealed a soaking wet layer of wood under a soaking wet layer of bark. I know some will say the leaky tarp trapped moisture, letting moisture in but preventing it from evaporating, but I don't buy it. At least with semi-lose Beech bark (and evidently also Pine according to joefrompa), any water that gets in there has a hard time getting back out and leads to struggling with the fire. So I say top covering is better than no cover, and peeling bark is not a waste of time. One exception, the first year of seasoning (before the bark gets lose) , its better to go uncovered.

I have many times peeled the bark off an otherwise dry piece of wood on a dry day to find moisture beneath the bark. I peel away all the bark I can easily peel, but there is a limit to the effort I will put into peeling. The limit is somewhere in the 2 second range.

BrotherBart said:
For years here I have caught bank-shot grief about top covering the stacks the day the wood is split. Well, when Irene came through we went from 2.25 inches of rain behind for the year to 2.5 ahead. In twelve hours. Now this morning Lee started dropping rain on us at a steady pace that is forecast to continue all the way to Friday.

The six cord of oak top covered for three years doesn't seem to be paying much attention to the rain. :coolsmirk:

If that stuff had been sitting out waiting for a few dry sunny days between now and when we light off in a few weeks I would have been screwed.

So for the record would you say they were Tropical Storms? ;-P

Wood Duck said:
fire_man said:
joefrompa said:
lol

I have many times peeled the bark off an otherwise dry piece of wood on a dry day to find moisture beneath the bark. I peel away all the bark I can easily peel, but there is a limit to the effort I will put into peeling. The limit is somewhere in the 2 second range.

I don't have experience with alot of different types of wood. Mainly pine, ash, elm, and ironwood. Here's my experiences with each:

1. Ironwood bark falls off very shortly after being bucked into rounds. It's not a moisture problem.

2. Ash bark falls off in beautiful sheets and I piece it off as it's thick and wonderful kindling. The underside WILL trap moisture against the wood if it's not removed, even if it's loose against the wood. But it takes no effort to remove.

3. Elm bark is similar to ash.

4. Pine bark is best left on the pine for a few months. After that, even in round form, it'll peel off pretty easily. I found that having a sharp edge (sharpened stick, small knife) makes it a piece of cake to start the peeling process. It traps a massive amount of moisture underneath, despite being very thin bark. Also, leaving the bark off for kindling - if the bark is exposed to rain, it absorbs the water. The bark stays wet, period. Unless kept completely dry, it's terrible kindling. The splits seem to season MUCH better and faster without the bark.

I love pine. It's one of the most forgiving of woods. It burns easily, fast, and hot. It seasons very fast. But it's a really wet wood - when green, it doesn't burn well. It seems to absorb moisture much more readily than other woods. It's bark traps moisture. Etc.

Pine is extremely satisfying for me to burn, as it raises the temp of my stove like a skyrocket and I can put in large splits almost immediately after kindling light off. So for me, when the pine struggles, it's a real pain. It'll kill an otherwise good launch. My stove will start to smoke and hover at 350. And I'll wind up fiddling with it and trying to find small pieces that will fit around the bad piece(s) of pine to get the stove going again.

What I've found this year is that I left my pine in various piles or in rounds for awhile - few weeks to few months. When I finally went to split it or stack it, the bark on alot of pieces had partially peeled off. So I simply took the chance to peel it all off.

In all cases, the bark underneath was a hotbed of moisture and bugs. TONS of those white larvae in there. And further, when I stripped it off, I usually increased the exposed surface area of the wood by 50% (it had 2 exposed sides, not it has 3). So seasoning time for that split would go from maybe 4 months down to 2-3 months (Yes, that fast).

....Anyway, that's my story. I've probably spent an extra 30-45 minutes total de-barking alot of splits in 2-3 cords of pine. I figure that'll easily pay off if it simply saves me the frustration of fiddling with 3-4 fires that otherwise wouldn't have gone sa well.

This has been the highest rainfall for N. NJ on record. TS Lee just sent the paulinskill river over Rt 15 again this morning after Irene had it closed for almost a week. ENOUGH Rain!!!! PLEASE.

I usually cover the tops by the time Sept rolls around, but I didn't for Irene or Lee. Now I am kicking myself. I also question whether my wood will be ready. It's been split and stacked since March 1st. It's just been a miserable cool and wet summer, dang it.

we should still have several weeks of dry weather to get it put away or covered.
Even in December it can get rather warm and have good stiff winds for days. at least around here.

except for last year when I decided to remodel the house.

mecreature said:
we should still have several weeks of dry weather to get it put away or covered.
Even in December it can get rather warm and have good stiff winds for days. at least around here.

except for last year when I decided to remodel the house.

Yep - just what I was thinking - lots of time for a string of sunny/windy days in September and early October to dry out the rain falling on my stacks right now. I'm in no rush to get the wood in the barn - I better not be burning for well over a month, hopefully longer! That said, if I had access to good materials, such as rubber roofing, old metal roofing, etc., I'd likely cover my stacks, but I'm NOT fooling around with tarps. Tarps are expensive and, in my experience, get holes and rips very easily when used to cover wood stacks with many sharp areas. Cheers!

BrotherBart said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Yeah my family lives in Texas. I am sure you know how bad they need the rain. How many years will the wood you burn this year have been top covered with those roofing sheets?

BB, I knew you were from Texas and I've been watching the news from that State and really feel for those folks. They have some deep problems both from the drought and the fires.

This year we'll be burning wood that was split and stacked in April 2009. It was covered, I think in late October but don't remember the actual date. Usually it is sometime in November or early December when I cover the wood piles but if some day I'm near them and have extra time and energy I'll just go ahead and cover.

I thought I had burned all the really old wood but still have a few splits left. We burned less than a cord of that wood last year and I think it was 8 years in the stack. It burned wonderful and we really did notice the difference when switching to the "fresher" wood. However, we supplied a few more people with firewood than normal plus a few sales so our wood stock really got down. I think we have only enough for about 5-6 years on hand right now. Hard to say what we'll end up with by winter's end though so I plan on cutting a bunch this winter if the body allows such.

I wait for a nice dry spell in late Sept. or early Oct. and put it inside or cover it then, 34 years of doing it that way and aint changing now.

think were getting another 4 inches of rain right now. Im glad all my wood for the winter is under the shed.

Lots of talk about covering wood piles when lots of rain is forecasted.
a rain shower may not do much to slow down the seasoning of wood but days & weeks of rain & clouds surely do.

I think it's a good idea. I mean you wouldn't turn on the sprinkler to water the wood pile.
If it blows the rain into the piles, it gets even wetter in the middle rows & it takes longer to dry out.
So covering is a good thing to do when storms are on the way, just as important is:: uncovering it after the storm .

We are in our wet season here but nothing like what's happening on the East coast.
Like we say here, "it'll quit raining soon, it'll turn to snow" :)

If it was easy, everyone would be burning wood.

Hunting season saying "Keep your powder dry"
Wood season: "Keep your wood dry" :)

Good luck.

Field Report From (Flooded) South - Central PA:

Uncovered Stacks are now completely dry after three hours of sun. Will stay uncovered till Mid - November. YMMV.

Good for you IanDad. It really does not take long to dry after rains hit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.