Vines can be tree growths?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Spent some time cutting up an Ash tree that had large vines all over it. It has been laid over for a couple years but was till hanging on to some extent. I was concerned the vines, which were the hairy type, were a poison of some kind. When I cut through them, the larest one was 3-4 inches in diameter, it had very similar grain and coloration to the ash tree it was on. Is it possilbe this vine is a growth out of the roots of this Ash tree?

If you are asking if the vine itself is ash, no.

Vines . . . no . . . at least none that I've seen . . . off shoot growing up from the base and wrapped around the larger trunk . . . yes . . . but I've never seen this on an ash . . . and ash is most definitely not a hairy bark tree.

Nope - But while cutting Ash the last couple years I've cut some Poison Ivy that was 3/4" to 3" or better in diameter. It had a nice light colored woody look to it. I'm very careful with these. I try to knock the vines & bark into a pile and leave them right there. All clothes go straight into the wash. Boots set aside, only worn cutting....

I got some poison ivy cutting through this winter. Didn't was the heavy sweat shirt and wearing it the next time out BAM! Be very careful!

Been 2 days now and now ivy effects, so hopefully not that. It didn't have the 3 leaf sprouts, but 5 or so leaves. I wore gloves and stripped it off the logs as I cut them to size. We'll see what happens when it gets loaded and c/s/s.

When we strip it we simply use the axe.

I hope I am wrong, but I think the only hairy vine that grows in your area and is likely to get that large is Poison Ivy. It can take more than two days for the rash to appear.

Did it look like this? If it does its not poison ivy, I stripped all of the rounds of ash I had and no itching and Im hyper sensitive to poison ivy. I was wondering too if it grew from the tree, it looked like it came out of the side of one of the rounds, either that or it was attached real well.

IMG_0695.jpg

Leaves look the same. That appears the same Ash species too. Vines had grown all around the tree, maybe 5-6 vines. It looked like a cage in spots. I just cut the log and grabbed the vines with my gloved hand and yanked. Still no signs it was poison ivy as of this morning, so I am out of the woods! Going back today though. Have a cherry to cut up.

"Hairy" vines are almost always poison ivy. But if yours has leaves with five, as opposed to three, leaflets, then it's probably Virginia Creeper, an unrelated and harmless vine.

Weatherguy's vines are Euonymous aka wintercreeper. Notice the leaves are evergreen, and they are simple oval leaves, not three parted leaves with a point on each leaflet. Euonymous is usually found near homes and roadsides and can get pretty rampant, covering the ground and all tree trunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.