vise!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Looking at vise's what would work best on chainsaw and what size?

What are you looking for a stump vise or a workbench vise ?

[quote author="webie" date="1268434248"]What are you looking for a stump vise or a

workbench vise

I've got a vise that I use on my chainsaw all the time. But it doesn't really make it run any better, just makes me feel better.

I don't know though, will the moderator's let me post all those words on here?

Let's see...

When the bar gets pinched I say "@#$%#$%%"

When the chain is dull I use "Come on you !@#&^%$"

When it won't start, "You lousy piece o' @#%&%$!"

When it konks out, "!$@#%@#$%'ing hunk of #$%^!@"

Heh. Usually people don't want to hear about my vises but glad to help whenever I can!

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I've got a vise that I use on my chainsaw all the time. But it doesn't really make it run any better, just makes me feel better.

Let's see...

Heh. Usually people don't want to hear about my vises but glad to help whenever I can!

I have a bad vise to after a hard day of useing a chainsaw its called
BEER

webie said:
Black Jaque Janaviac said:

Let's see...

I have a bad vise to after a hard day of useing a chainsaw its called
BEER

yep I have couple myself

You guys need to review the difference between "vise" (the tool), and "vice" ( the behavior). Rick

fossil said:
You guys need to review the difference between "vise" (the tool), and "vice" ( the behavior). Rick

yep don't think this thread will yield much.

Here is the vise I use to sharpen chains....

DSC03633.jpg

DSC03634.jpg

DSC03635.jpg

Foe what I use it for it is perfect!!!!

fossil said:

Thar you go assumin we can spell and comprehend !

I would suggest buying a quality vise like Record (which I think is now made / labeled by Irwin tools. The better vises just seem to turn in & out smoother. They all seem reasonable for smoothness at first but the cheap ones seem to loose that fast. Not sure of the threads on the bolt underneith pile up a bit or what, but the Record vises seem to be smooth for a lifetime. Also you can get replacement jaws for them.

Jay - if this is going to be a lifetime tool - go quality. The chinese junk at HF and the likes is gonna piss you off. A decent 4 to 6" jawed vise will probably run you hundreds. Whereas a cheapo will be $25-$35.

Yost makes a nice vise.
http://www.yostvises.com/products.htm

Jags said:
Jay - if this is going to be a lifetime tool - go quality. The chinese junk at HF and the likes is gonna piss you off. A decent 4 to 6" jawed vise will probably run you hundreds. Whereas a cheapo will be $25-$35.

Yost makes a nice vise.

wound up buying a 4 in. from sears just doesn't take up as much room on the bench...they where in the box and I didn't open it til I got home and there it was a sticker saying made in china! one years warranty so see what happens.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Yost makes a nice vise.

wound up buying a 4 in. from sears just doesn't take up as much room on the bench...they where in the box and I didn't open it til I got home and there it was a sticker saying made in china! one years warranty so see what happens.

I don't intentionally bash China stuff, but I have seen one of the bigger vises (I think it was a 8" jaw), completely snap a jaw off, just cuz somebody was whacking something with a 3# hammer. It wasn't even my vise. Its kinda hard to walk up to somebody and say - "Uh, hey dude - I just broke your vise".

(no names were mentioned due to the witness protection program)

Hopefully Sears will select a higher quality vise.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Yost makes a nice vise.

I don't intentionally bash China stuff, but I have seen one of the bigger vises (I think it was a 8" jaw), completely snap a jaw off, just cuz somebody was whacking something with a 3# hammer. It wasn't even my vise. Its kinda hard to walk up to somebody and say - "Uh, hey dude - I just broke your vise".

(no names were mentioned due to the witness protection program)

Hopefully Sears will select a higher quality vise.

we will see I not convince yet..I am pretty ruff on stuff and its fasten really well so if its weak it will not take me long!

wow, if whacking a vise with a 3# hammer broke it every time, then I'd be on about my 50th vise.....Also, is it bad to use a little black pipe (like 3ft or so) to give you leverage to tighten it down?

LOL. I don't know what kind of vise this is, but my great-grandpa sure picked a nice one....

Danno77 said:
LOL. I don't know what kind of vise this is, but my great-grandpa sure picked a nice one....

Your great grandpa had good taste in quality steel. ;-)

They can still be had, but not at Harbor Fright prices.

Jags said:
Danno77 said:

Your great grandpa had good taste in quality steel. ;-)

They can still be had, but not at Harbor Fright prices.

I thought I had one for free old 6in. but they back out! just my luck...

I think I remember seeing a hefty old anvil looking vise out in the barn at my parent's house, wonder if Dad would let me have it. I do see a lot of old vises for sale at yard sales and antique flea markets. Sometimes they are pretty cheap. never paid too much attention because I never really needed one.

Danno77 said:
I think I remember seeing a hefty old anvil looking vise out in the barn at my parent's house, wonder if Dad would let me have it. I do see a lot of old vises for sale at yard sales and antique flea markets. Sometimes they are pretty cheap. never paid too much attention because I never really needed one.

there worth some money, my own Dad back out on me...

Status
Not open for further replies.