Vitorond 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
Anyone familiar with this oil boiler? I am looking to replace my 20 plus year old Weil Mclain.

http://www.viessmann-us.com/en/products/Oil-fired_boilers_/Vitorond_100_18kW.html

Like all things Viessmann, it's about the top of the line in it's category, which in this case is a basic oil fired boiler. It is a true three pass heat exchanger and it will work with fairly low water temps which allows you to pick up a couple points of efficiency in the shoulder heating seasons using outdoor rest of the system temp. You can opt for the same level of control found on their top of the line units if it fits your system. I'm partial to the Riello burner. Once those things are dialed in you can pretty much forget about it other than a new nozzle every year. They just don't break in my humble experience. I use them on Viessmann and Buderus boilers about exclusively.

Thanks heaterman

I am going to replace it this fall and one local dealer has these. I also looked at the Buderus. That seemed to be a very similar boiler. I was also thinking of one of the condensing boielrs but I use so little oil I would never see a pay back.

Thanks again.

Eric

EricV said:
Thanks heaterman

I am going to replace it this fall and one local dealer has these. I also looked at the Buderus. That seemed to be a very similar boiler. I was also thinking of one of the condensing boielrs but I use so little oil I would never see a pay back.

Thanks again.

Eric
Not really much to be gained from a condensing oil boiler. I typically see the Viessmann and Buderus equipment dial in 86-88% on my combustion analyzer. a condensing unit will maybe pick up 5 points over that. Oil contains less condensible vapor than gas so there is less to capture by the condensing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.