Voice Assistant Devices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
Summer's deck season is here has started for me. My go to music player is Alexa, playing spotify. For you guys that aren't familiar with these things and what you can do. I'm in a rural spot with not much radio. I just ask Alexa to play most any broadcast radio station, anywhere, podcast, and anything you can can think off.

What do you guys do with yours?

I download music to my iphone and bluetooth it to a small anchor $20 speaker. The sound is very good for such an inexpensive mobile speaker. its great for bringing to paddle, tennis or whatever courts.

I use pandora and a bluetooth speaker as well. However, being in a suburban environment, I tend to keep the volume low enough to not be heard beyond my property. I generally hate having to listen to music of someone else (what an awful taste *everybody* has ;-) ), so I try to not impose my (perfect ;-) ) taste on them either.

I don't have voice assisted anything in my home. I prefer not to be heard all the time by folks I don't know. (Maybe this is my personal aluminum hat thing, so it's ok to call me crazy... - but you can google surveilance capitalism.)

Reactions: FramerJ
I pull most of my music from youtube. Lots of vintage rock and new music by people no ones ever heard of.

That's what I like about Pandora, make a channel based on a song or band, and it'll play similar music I never heard of.

We've got them scattered all over the house. Pretty convenient to yell at the robot to turn off the lights the teenager left on, or add things to the grocery list.

Kitchen and living room have screens so they play a random mix of photos from Google, they can also display the feed from the outdoor cameras.

We've got audio groups setup to stream music through the house along with one on the front patio and actions set for when everyone leaves to play background music for the dogs and lock the door.

I get privacy concerns but if someone wants to listen to my terrible singing and discussions about dinner, sorry for them 🤣

Festerw. We to have them all over. All the different versions. We video call with the alexa show to my kids that have one. I control alexa connected devices at my cabin from anywhere. All for free. I'm not to concerned with it listening to me, not much to hear.

We're fortunate to have some good radio stations in the area so we just listen on FM, though my wife has an internet radio in the kitchen.