Vortech Air Seperator - Flow in both directions okay???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
I've installed my Vortech Air seperator at the highest point in my system which is the hot water supply into my upper 500 gallon tank. Anytime the boiler is running the flow will always be into the top of the tank. But when the boiler is shut down I will be heating from the tank and thus my flow through the air seperator will be reversed. Anyone see a problem with this? There is a flow arrow on the seperator which is what got me thinking about it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts....

Not a problem as far as flow is concerned but it won't function as an air eliminator when it's reversed. In addition you may get some spitting or leaking out of the air vent during reverse flow situations. The best place for an air separator is not necessarily at the high point of the system although it is a good spot for a bleeder. The air sep AND the expansion tank should always be just prior to the inlet of the main circ for the system. (PONPC) Point of no pressure change.

Hmmm...good to know but this may make my life rather difficult. I certainly don't want a less than optimal setup. Sounds like that's what I may have right now. I really enjoy pulling black pipe apart! I'll have to give this some more thought. Thanks for the reply...

stee6043 said:
Hmmm...good to know but this may make my life rather difficult. I certainly don't want a less than optimal setup. Sounds like that's what I may have right now. I really enjoy pulling black pipe apart! I'll have to give this some more thought. Thanks for the reply...

look at the Caleffi air remover. it is not dependent on direction of flow, neither is their dirt remover, which is part of why I went with both in the system that I am still in the midst of building

Thanks for the tip on the Caleffi. My problem is I already have the Vortech installed. I've sent an email to Taco to see if I'll get any negative affects other than degraded air removal while running water in the opposite direction. I will just move the Vortech if it's not going to work in it's current location. If Taco doesn't respond I'll just run the Vortech the way it is during my first heat and flush cycle this weekend. We'll see what happens!

If anyone else has encountered this I'd love to hear about it...

Well Taco sent me an email this morning simply stating "it will not damage the unit". Since I asked a slightly more detailed question I was hoping for a little more in the way of an answer. But what can you do.

I may try it out during my flush and I may move it immediately after. I don't want a setup that could cause problems later...

Status
Not open for further replies.