Wall Spacers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishrprice

Oct 26, 2008
Eastern Shore of Md.
Hello to all.

Another question. I have the wall shields for the stove I am installing and I am wondering what would be the best spacers for me to use. The shields are 4' x 4' diamond plate 1/8 inch thick. (please dont tell me it not thick or big enough). Thanks for the help. Gene

Those are some dang heavy plates you're putting in there. Steel, or aluminum? In any case, I'd say you'll want to support the weight from the floor, rather than suspending the plates only from the walls. Any non-combustible type of spacer will work for the walls. Ceramic ones are available, but you could just as well use 1" pieces of copper pipe/tubing. You won't need many, and none should be installed directly behind the stove profile. Along the floor, you want to leave as much of the bottom edge free to ventilate as you can (1" off the floor), but you can devise some sort of non-combustible "feet" to support the wieght of the shields. I'm assuming that wall shielding is addressed by the stove manufacturer as an acceptable way to reduce clearances to combustibles...? Rick

fishrprice said:
Hello to all.

Another question. I have the wall shields for the stove I am installing and I am wondering what would be the best spacers for me to use. The shields are 4' x 4' diamond plate 1/8 inch thick. (please dont tell me it not thick or big enough). Thanks for the help. Gene

I've seen people use old ceramic electric fence insulators or the round ceramic surface-mount posts from old knob and tube wiring supports

Each sheets is about 40lbs and they are made of aluminum, it is a mobile home install, do the spaces run all the way the length of the sheet or are they just a few inchs at different places.

i'd use ceramic spacers to get the "space" however, i'd also use some sort of "leg" or "stand" to support 99% of the weight on the floor/ hearth.... although if you hit studs and use enough spacers you may be ok

Cousin cut me 1" pieces of black pipe to use as spacers. Screw easy through the center and you should be good to go. trailblaze had a great idea for making sure you put something on the bottom to support it as well. I'll eventually stone the front, but for now, get any space and you will be alright.

fishrprice said:
Each sheets is about 40lbs and they are made of aluminum, it is a mobile home install, do the spaces run all the way the length of the sheet or are they just a few inchs at different places.

At a minimum, with a large sheet this stiff you could get away with a screw and spacer in each corner. Use #10 x 2.5" screws through the 1" ceramic or copper pipe spacers, firmly anchored into the studs. No harm in adding more screws, perhaps in the centers, but this would be adequate.

Here is a photo of where the stove will go with the floor hearth and the wall shields, I just figured out how to post a pic. (Or at least I hope I did). I have been trying since yesterday. Gene

Attachments

• Captured 2008-11-21 00000.JPG
    Captured 2008-11-21 00000.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 211
Status
Not open for further replies.