Wall Switch or not.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lakeresident

Oct 27, 2020
Michigan
Hi guys,

I just moved into my new house and the fireplace is already in place. What I am not sure of is whether there is a wall switch to it. There are two wall switches that I could not figure out which outlet or light they controls and I am guessing one of them is for the fireplace. However, when I try to turn on the fireplace, this is what happens:

Unlike the fireplace in my previous house which has a dial of pilot/on/off, a volume dial, and an igniter/striker, this fireplace has only one dial marked with pilot/on/off. I need to light the pilot with an extended lighter. Once I lit the pilot, I need to push in to turn the dial to the "on" position. However, as I turn the dial, the fireplace lights up the fire. It is not like the one in my old house where I can turn it to "on" with no fire and then go to the wall switch to turn it on and off.

I am guessing it is not connected to a wall switch, which is really inconvenient. Am I missing something here? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you have a set of vented logs in a woodburning box with a manual safety valve. If this is the case, it cannot be connected to a wall switch without replacing the valve.