wall thimble installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gog222

Sep 2, 2008
MD
I just bought a Quad Santa Fe for my sunroom. I have a Castille in the basement which works great. My question is this, has any one installed a wall thimble for a stove? It seems to be easy and the dealer want $500 to do it. Any tips or pics would be great! i am going staight out the wall , on the inside i have sheet rock and vinyl siding on the outside.

thanks at all in advance,

Gary

I have that install, My brother in law took the Thimble and put it on the wall (inside) traced the circle, Took a sheetrock saw and cut the circle out and moved the insulation, Drilled a small hole on the siding (inside again), Went outside and put the thimble up to the little hole where it was centered and traced the circle again, Cut out the siding, Put one half of the thimble into the hole (inside first) Screwed it to the wall, make sure it's level, Did the same thing on the outside, Caulked around the thimble inside and out, Ran the pipe from the stove thru the thimble to the outside, Caulked all the pipe......Works like a charm.....Hope this helps

I don't have any pics handy, but there are plenty on the forum if you do a search. The install is pretty simple:

1. mark the center of your stove's exhaust outlet on the wall where it'll be going
2. draw a box staying 3.5" away from that center mark, and that's your cut out size for the thimble.
3. use a long drill bit, as large as you have, to make the first hole through the house starting on the center mark made in step 1
5. now make a square box 7"x7" on the outside of your house using the drill hole as your center so you know what to remove on the outside.
4. If you have a Dremel tool or another brand of cut-off tool you can use that to make a fairly symmetrical square hole on both the inside and outside. You could also use a Sawzall, but it doesn't make as neat a hole.
5. perform a test fit of the thimble to make sure it fits properly, and the exhaust pipe lines up okay
6. if 5 is a go you can now use j-channel to dress-up the outside part of the thimble and use caulk to seal it
7. connect stove and enjoy

Thanks guys for your quick responses.. that was pretty much the same idea i had.. just wanted to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.