Wall thimble to electrical outlet clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA_Clinker

Mar 13, 2011
Northeast PA
I have the Simpson Dura-Vent 3" Pellet Stove Vent Kit AC-3000, and the instructions state 1" to combustibles when passing the thimble through the exterior wall.

I'm just wondering if it's legit to pass the wall thimble between two studs where there is an AC electrical outlet box (blue plastic) nailed to one? I'm assuming the 1" clearance rule still applies?

Anyone here know for sure?

Thanks, Mike

I installed my thimble today. I was told that the thimble was fine to have insulation touching it. So i there for filled the gaps around the thimble with insulation.. it states no where in the instructions about any clearence of the thimbe to combustionables. So your post has me wondering about my thimble also. Mine is a metalbestos. I just wanna be safe not sorry. My thimble went thru drywall and a basement block wall. I had to use an 8 inch piece of black stove pipe to extend and make it long enough.

My Simpson Dura-vent pro is 1" Clearance to Combustibles. the area within the Thimble is this area (Actually more than 1"). The temp of the flue does not get overly hot (Compared to Wood). With the added air space of the Thimble. I would imagine that as long as there is a small air space between your thimble and this junction box. You will fine. The thimble is the part that "Protects" your Drywall, Insulation, Vinyl siding, etc... The air gap within it, is what keeps everything away from the high temps (Never seen mine over 150*/Exterior/ and I had it Burnin!!).

Okay, thanks DexterDay. Those were my thoughts also.

Status
Not open for further replies.