wall thimble too short...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMellmo

Nov 6, 2011
Hi everyone!

I just bought a Harman XXV and i want to install selkirk Direct Temp pipes on it.

The thimble that comes with the kit is for wall up to 7 inches thick.
Since i will install the stove in my basement, the wall is 13inches thick and the thimble will have to pass through the concrete , the 2 inches foam insulation, the wood lathe(sp?) and the sheetrock. is it okay if there is a gap between the 2 parts of the thimble ? The gap will be in the concrete part.

should i get some sheetmetal and make myself an ''extender''?

I would really like to use Direct temp mainly for the look since it is 6 5/8 instead of 4''. It looks a lot more like wood stove pipe.
i guess the outside air kit would be useful too,
otherwise, the B plan is to install ICC excell pellet pipe.

thanks for your help

I had the same issue. I would extend the length with sheet metal or another piece of stove pipe.

I used the black type and it fit perfectly around the thimble. All i had to do was cut it to the correct length needed.

Same here, just use sheet metal. Selkirk also says its ok to extend if necessary. Also, use some aluminum tape in the inside of the thimble to seal up the extension joints.

just make sure you positively connect everything....screws or rivets work well for the extension......or, by a thinble which will extend to that thickness (best case)....you are technically modifying a UL listed product, thereby nullifying the listing (technically)

SMellmo said:
Hi everyone!

I just bought a Harman XXV and i want to install selkirk Direct Temp pipes on it.

The thimble that comes with the kit is for wall up to 7 inches thick.
Since i will install the stove in my basement, the wall is 13inches thick and the thimble will have to pass through the concrete , the 2 inches foam insulation, the wood lathe(sp?) and the sheetrock. is it okay if there is a gap between the 2 parts of the thimble ? The gap will be in the concrete part.

should i get some sheetmetal and make myself an ''extender''?

I would really like to use Direct temp mainly for the look since it is 6 5/8 instead of 4''. It looks a lot more like wood stove pipe.
i guess the outside air kit would be useful too,
otherwise, the B plan is to install ICC excell pellet pipe.

thanks for your help

You can use 6" stove pipe to extend the wall thimble.

Several options here, but the thimble needs to have full coverage over the pipe.

You can even get galv. sheetmetal by the little roll and wrap it around the existing portion of the thimble to extend it.

Use some 1/8th inch dia. pop rivets to fasten the two together.

The concrete is certainly in no danger of burning, but to keep everything up to code, you really need that full coverage.

Seems that there is always an install where the standard stuff just falls short some way.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.