Walnut and Mulberry-how long to season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
My boss is cutting down two Mulberrys and a Walnut this week and being the office wood hoarder it's all coming to my house. If I get it all split by the end of this month is there any chance it will be ready by February/March 2010?

Kind of depends on how the weather for drying is concerned, how big you split it and how you store it and what you burn it in. I have had both varieties though not much of the mulberry. If you have a lean-to type shed with good south and west exposure that prevents rain from getting on the wood, though it won't be at peak, 4" splits stacked well with lots of sun and wind should be ready by November for a wood stove. For a gasifier you want to get below 25% moisture content to get the best efficiency. Key here is the "peak efficiency" aspect. Some won't consider wood that is seasoned less than a year but if you are willing to work the wood you can expedite it some.

In my experience mulberry burns much better if given 18 months. It _will_ burn in your timeframe, but it would be better to give it another summer.

KarlP said:
In my experience mulberry burns much better if given 18 months. It _will_ burn in your timeframe, but it would be better to give it another summer.

Gotcha-I think no matter what I'm going to find myself buying a cord or two of seasoned wood soon. I just don't have enough scrounged wood that will be ready in time.

You can still scrounge dead wood that will be ready for this season to keep from having to buy wood and set aside what is still too green for another season.

I think I have enough to get me through - but I can't stop. It's an addiction for sure. I am amazed at how easy it is to find and get good free wood. I can't wait to get out again this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.