Wanna see how big Hornbeams get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glacialhills

Jun 5, 2008
S.W. Michigan
I took some pics on a hike with the wife and son couple weeks back. When I saw this hornbeam I just had to share. Also took some of a Large Black Walnut with a Honeybee Hive up about 40 ft. They must have run out of room inside their hole and had to make comb on the outside. Sure can tell we dont have black bears in the area.

Attachments

• Hornbeam.jpg
    Hornbeam.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 647
  • Walnut honeytree.jpg
    Walnut honeytree.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 631
  • walnut tree honeybees.jpg
    walnut tree honeybees.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 610
  • Honeybee hive.jpg
    Honeybee hive.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 641
I love trees like that, hardly any brush to deal with, nice pics

Awesome!! I've never seen a iron wood that big!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:

Billy

Billy, I think we have a different ironwood here and ours will never reach that size.

Backwoods Savage said:
Cowboy Billy said:

Billy

Billy, I think we have a different ironwood here and ours will never reach that size.

Backwoods I thought that too but This is the same ironwood that grows all over here in Michigan... only this one is probably 2 or 3 hundred years old or more from one of the last virgin hardwood forests left in Michigan or anywhere for that matter. The thing was well over 100 foot tall too. I have a few growing on my property that are 10" in diameter and I thought that was as big as they could get. One 8 incher I cut last year was about 75 years old looking at the rings. So the one in the picture has to be ancient.

You are right. They sure do grow slow. We have one little one that I've watched over the years and the danged thing looks about as big today as it did 25 years ago.

Here in NH our entire national forests were logged at one time or another. Then came the Chestnut blight. You can still find 6' diameter oaks, but it really must have been something to have seen what it was.

Very strange for bees to draw comb like that out in the open, right off the side of a tree. Very unlikely that they outgrew a hole in the tree. More likely a swarm landed on the tree, wasn't able to find a suitable place to make a new home, and needed to draw out comb quick to get the queen laying. Probably won't survive the winter exposed like that.

(I'm a beekeeper btw.)

Status
Not open for further replies.