wanting to go back to my woodstove after 30 yrs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coltfever

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I've been reading this forum for a few months now and enjoy all the info and input everyone has to share. Back in the mid 70's to late 80's I burn wood for heating in my brick and tile liner fireplace with the large 2800 series Buck Stove insert and realy enjoyed it. Ever season I would pull the stove away from the fireplace and give everything a good cleaning. Well now time has past and I sold the old buck stove. Closed up the damper and now have been using heating fireplace logs for along time now. With the cost of propane ( $2.49 a gal. on December 1st and still rising ) we are wanting to go back to burning wood. What I have seen changed with burning wood now is I need to install a flex liner down my chimney. I sure do hate to cut out my damper.
I was hoping someone could share another way I could do this. With the pin out of my flue damper I have almost a 7 inch opening. I am wanting to buy another Buck Stove that requires a 6 inch pipe. Looks like above the stove it will have 2 slight curves. Anyway this is my first post so I thought I would ask.
Thanks,
Mike

Everything you said sounds like it would work. Most hearth retailers will give you a free in home consulation if your interested in buying a stove and liner from them.

Welcome to the forums

Franks said:
Most hearth retailers will give you a free in home consulation if your interested in buying a stove and liner from them.

Welcome to the forums

I know Nashville Fireplace(located in Franklin) will come out and do the consultation. I just got my Jotul installed by them and was pleased. They do carry Buck stoves. The damper came right out just with pulling out a single pin. They did have to curve the flex/flue pipe slightly to get around what they called a "damper lock". If I have any problems I guess I'll bust that out of there in order to have completely straight flue/liner.

Thanks Coach B. I will give them a call tomorrow. I have been looking at the Buck Model 81 Non-Catalytic insert. I think thats the one I'm interested in. Who knows I might get in the store and find something else. On Buck website the model 94NC sure looks nice.

We have had the last few feet of a liner ovalized in order to go through a damper. It sounds like you have a large damper opening, most openings aren't wide enough to even get the ovalized through without a struggle and we must do some demolition.

Status
Not open for further replies.