Warm Front by NEWP - 20 lb bags?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH

Attachments

• WPwf.jpg
    WPwf.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 453
Interesting. I wonder if that will catch on? Unless you have some physical problem that would make it difficult to pick up a 40 lb bag, I don't know that this would be appealing to people. I stacked 200 bags in April for next year. I don't think I'd want to stack 400. I'm afraid this will be like the incredible shrinking ice cream cartons, less ice cream for the same money!

newf lover said:
Interesting. I wonder if that will catch on? Unless you have some physical problem that would make it difficult to pick up a 40 lb bag, I don't know that this would be appealing to people. I stacked 200 bags in April for next year. I don't think I'd want to stack 400. I'm afraid this will be like the incredible shrinking ice cream cartons, less ice cream for the same money!

Well, I am sure most guys have no trouble with 40 lb bags but small frame women may not be able to use a pellet stove unless they have an easy to manage 20 lb bag. In fact the UK has 10 Kg (22 lbs) or 15 Kg (33 lbs) cylindrical bags for a long time now for women to heat their homes!

See
http://www.hertswoodfuel.co.uk/page5.htm

$1 a pound? $2000/ton. Makes $250/ton look like a steal!

I've seen the NEWP, Warm Front and Energex in 20 lb bags for a couple of years now....

Your image isn't the 20lb bag, they are half the size (obviously) and have a handle. Also the price on the site you list says $249/ton.

Don2222 said:
newf lover said:

Well, I am sure most guys have no trouble with 40 lb bags but small frame women may not be able to use a pellet stove unless they have an easy to manage 20 lb bag. In fact the UK has 10 Kg (22 lbs) or 15 Kg (33 lbs) cylindrical bags for a long time now for women to heat their homes!

See

I am a woman, over 50 and have no problem lifting 40 pound bags! I just wish my husband thought I couldn't do it....

NEWP's in 20 pound bags. Creative marketing I guess. Anything to try to get an advantage in the competitive wood pellet industry. Maybe they should consider making a better pellet! That might make NEWP's more appealing too!

newf lover said:
Don2222 said:
newf lover said:

See

I am a woman, over 50 and have no problem lifting 40 pound bags! I just wish my husband thought I couldn't do it....

I was waiting for one of the ladies to say something like this :) . The only customers I have that complain about the weight of the bags are guys with big beer guts. They just cant get that mechanical advantage of leverage, nor do they bend at the knees to lift. I have the great fortune of getting to toss thousands of bags a year, sure would like to be able to change to 20lb bags late in the day when fatigue starts to set in....might feel like vacation.

johnnycomelately said:
NEWP's in 20 pound bags. Creative marketing I guess. Anything to try to get an advantage in the competitive wood pellet industry. Maybe they should consider making a better pellet! That might make NEWP's more appealing too!
i agree with you i would start by fixing the problem with the pellets first .also things in smaller packaging almost always cost more . you pay for convenience

New England has improved the product try some of the new stuff and you will see. The smaller bags work good for the small stores that sell pellets like Grocery Stores or gas stations. They don't have much room to keep them out front plus it is hard to carry a 40lb bag of pellets and your case of beer :).

Delta-T said:
I was waiting for one of the ladies to say something like this :) . The only customers I have that complain about the weight of the bags are guys with big beer guts. They just cant get that mechanical advantage of leverage, nor do they bend at the knees to lift. I have the great fortune of getting to toss thousands of bags a year, sure would like to be able to change to 20lb bags late in the day when fatigue starts to set in....might feel like vacation.

Those that need the 20 pound bags might have reasons other than not being able to physically lift the 40's, a case in point would be someone that is recovering from various procedures and their doctor has placed a 25 pound limit on what they lift.

If you want to do the 40's it helps to do a bit more of the physical labor than a lot of folks normally do. Just be sure to pace yourself if you are in the 35+ age bracket. For a warm up there are 100 pound sacks of salt as well as 100 pound and 50 pound feed bags, after that the 40's won't seem so bad.

We won't discuss beer bellies, well at least not until the temperatures are good for brewing a few batches ;-) .

Status
Not open for further replies.