Warm weather hard on the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
During warm ups like most of us are having, do you think it is hard on a stove when we let it go out, then start it up in the evening or morning. It always seemed to me that during the 24/7 burning season, when the temperature of the stove doesn't vary that much, and there is therefore little expansion and contraction, that it would be much easier on the stove than what I am doing now. Lately, I have let it go completely cold, only to fire it up in the evening or morning and then let it go stone cold again. Seems like that would be hard on it. What do you all think?

tfdchief said:
During warm ups like most of us are having, do you think it is hard on a stove when we let it go out, then start it up in the evening or morning. It always seemed to me that during the 24/7 burning season, when the temperature of the stove doesn't vary that much, and there is therefore little expansion and contraction, that it would be much easier on the stove than what I am doing now. Lately, I have let it go completely cold, only to fire it up in the evening or morning and then let it go stone cold again. Seems like that would be hard on it. What do you all think?
Open the windows :lol:

If it has survived it since 1982 I don't think I see a serious concern here. :lol:

What it does do it crap up the chimney more with the cold starts.

Was 50 hear today, just opened some windows, let some nice country fresh air blow thru the house and kept the stove going at the same time. Of course I don't buy my wood either, plus have plenty left for the burn season.

If it's in the 40s a small fire every other day is about all I need to keep the house warm. We are finally seeing some winter here though, been below zero the last couple days and supposed to get ~10" of snow today.

I think as long as you bring the heat up gradually you would be ok.

The changes in temperature aren't going to wear out the stove any faster.
The things that age the stove quicker are overfiring, and leaving the stove full of ashes in the humid summer months.

Weather is not hard on your stove.
You are in the manner you use, or abuse, it.

You are concerned with thermal cycling.

Cold/hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold is thermal cycling.

Very cold/very hot/very cold/very hot/very cold/very hot/very cold is extreme thermal cycling.
This is the worst for your stove parts.

Cold/very warm/hot/very warm/hot/very warm/hot/very warm/cold is less extreme thermal cycling.
This is about the best one can do and will minimize damage to the stove over time.

Most stoves are made from different materials. The different materials move differently during thermal cycling.
The different movement from the different materials causes 'wear and tear'.

Minimize wear and tear by minimizing thermal cycling extremes.
Be nice to people and be nice to your stove.

Aye,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.