Warm weather Husqvarna 42 doesnt run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Hi folks, I have an older Husky 42 (18 years) that runs great in cold weather. Unfortunately in warm weather (anything over about 50 F), it really doesnt like to run. IDuring warm weather, initially it will start up and run at lower than normal revs. In general it sounds like its plugged up (similiar to clogged arrestor screen). When I use it to cut, as the saw warms up, it loses even more revs and its starts stalling when the throttle isnt wide open. Eventually, it just starts stalling and is difficult to restart. The spark arrestor screen is long gone, so I know that isnt the issue and I have cleaned all the accessible filters. This has been long term over the years but seems to be getting worse.

I dropped the saw over at the local dealer, Labonvilles, but the service tech wasnt very optimistic about getting around to working on it in the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions on things to check ? It is a great firewood saw for winter use, but I have about 6 free cords of treelength birch that really can wait until cold weather.

Where abouts in NH you at??

My sis lives in Raymond.....
I was up there last summer and it rained like 30 days in a row...Anyway my thought is how humid is up there right now????

Have you tried to re set the carb?? Has anyone ever re set the carb??

Sounds to me like it may be a little finicky to climate changes.. All carbs especially older saws need to be adjusted once and a while...

Does it run good at WOT????

I think I would try the L screw give it a little more and see what that did...Just remember a little goes a long way on the screw....

I live up "north of the notches" about 6 miles north of the top of Mt Washington. Your comments about last spring and most of last summer are correct. It rained steadilly during the week and almost every weekend. Great for ducks but not for firewood. The woods were definitely a lot greener than normal. All sorts of firewood for sale around here, but its all around $200 to $220 a cord split and delivered.

I havent tried carb adjustments, as it ran so well in the winter. I may go retreive it and play with the mixture as I sure wont get any use out of it waiting for them to fix it. WOT sounds like its way down on RPM. When I was trying to cut wood, I swear I could see the individual teeth.

Worse case is they have a rack of pro saws right next to the service counter!

It sounds silly, but is your air filter clean? I'm wondering if the colder denser air allowed it to run better than warmer, less dense air.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.