Warning! Bee careful out there

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregp553

Nov 15, 2009
SE Michigan
I was moving some 2-year old oak to a stack outside my den, close to my old insert. The smaller split pieces are finally ready to burn. While tossing scraps and loose bark into a wood box next to the door, I discovered the hard way that bees have nested in the kindling box. One good sting on the arm, swollen and itches like crazy. Watch it this time of year. They get angry. Any good remedy to ease the itch from a sting?

ya they are crazy over here right now..got stung on the end of my nose last year and put mud on it..it worked!

loon

I Made Fire! said:
I was moving some 2-year old oak to a stack outside my den, close to my old insert. The smaller split pieces are finally ready to burn. While tossing scraps and loose bark into a wood box next to the door, I discovered the hard way that bees have nested in the kindling box. One good sting on the arm, swollen and itches like crazy. Watch it this time of year. They get angry. Any good remedy to ease the itch from a sting?

Take an onion, cut it in half then slap the onion on the bee sting and it should take away the sting.

zap

I Made Fire! said:
Any good remedy to ease the itch from a sting?
I keep a couple of these little tubes of Ammonia called itch sticks. I got stung about 20 times last year.(yes at the same time... it was horrible!)

edit: I also got stung on the top of my foot by a wasp that was in my boot last winter. Their was still snow on the ground when my boot came flying off. A little dab from the itch stick and a dry pair of socks and back to cutting. I always bang my boots real good before I slip them on now!

loon said:
ya they are crazy over here right now..got stung on the end of my nose last year and put mud on it..it worked!

loon

Loon, careful with that mud. Ya don't want to be considered a "Brown Noser"................LOL

loon said:

loon

Loon when I was young a southern lady who had a camp on Wilson Hill put mud on my sting, worked great.

zap

I tend to react rather strongly to these sorts of things. Itch, swell up pretty bad, and end up at the emergency room in two days with a man-boob on one side (Yes, this happened).

I use Benadryl cream, and take Benadryl tabs as well (contrary to label instructions). Then they prescribe steroids in the ER. Maybe I need to think about a different approach here going forwards...

One more reason to wait until colder weather to be moving wood around. Also another reason to cut wood during the winter months. Plenty of other things to do during warmer weather.

I got stung about a dozen times last month when I was cutting the lawn, benadryl seems to work really well for me, helps a lot with the itching.

I usually try to wait til its cold outside to cut or anything. Had a tree service tell me where their wood lot was over the weekend so the fam and I went an checked it out. Wasn't there 2 mins and thought all of us were gonna get stung. Didn't stick around long nor get to cut :( oh well, better than my 2 yr old gettin eat up by yellow jackets. I'd never seen so many of them in one place

rottiman said:
loon said:

loon

Loon, careful with that mud. Ya don't want to be considered a "Brown Noser"................LOL

:lol: no comment! :cheese:

zapny said:
loon said:

loon

Loon when I was young a southern lady who had a camp on Wilson Hill put mud on my sting, worked great.

zap

ya i think it was my mom that told me the trick waaay back. ;-)

it was dry as dry that day and wont put up on the board how i made the mud :p

loon

JV_Thimble said:
I tend to react rather strongly to these sorts of things. Itch, swell up pretty bad, and end up at the emergency room in two days with a man-boob on one side (Yes, this happened).

I use Benadryl cream, and take Benadryl tabs as well (contrary to label instructions). Then they prescribe steroids in the ER. Maybe I need to think about a different approach here going forwards...

I usually never had much of a reaction to stings. Last year a wasp got me. they built a nest uder the gas grill right above the valve on the tank. I just reached under as usual and got nailed.
Went to the doctors the next day, my hand was a round as a baseball. Had to get a prescription steroid regimen to bring it back to normal.

Anyone know if adverse reaction to stings builds with time or with repeated stings?

kettensäge said:
JV_Thimble said:

I usually never had much of a reaction to stings. Last year a wasp got me. they built a nest uder the gas grill right above the valve on the tank. I just reached under as usual and got nailed.
Went to the doctors the next day, my hand was a round as a baseball. Had to get a prescription steroid regimen to bring it back to normal.

Anyone know if adverse reaction to stings builds with time or with repeated stings?

AFAIK you can become sensitized to the venom in stings over time. If I were having severe reactions as described above I think I would talk to my doc about getting an epi pen to carry with me. Anaphylactic reactions can be deadly and can be very quick to occur. We always required employees with severe sting allergies to carry epi pens on construction sites.

onion said:
kettensäge said:
JV_Thimble said:

AFAIK you can become sensitized to the venom in stings over time. If I were having severe reactions as described above I think I would talk to my doc about getting an epi pen to carry with me. Anaphylactic reactions can be deadly and can be very quick to occur. We always required employees with severe sting allergies to carry epi pens on construction sites.

+1

Next time I go to the Doc, I should ask about getting a script for an epi pen.

I found this to be interesting page on bee stings

What everyone needs to know about bee stings

An excerpt:

Immunity to Bee Stings

Seasoned beekeepers experience virtually no reaction to stings and generally ignore occasional stings in their daily work. Beekeepers still feel the sting the same as anyone else, but since they are not worried about stings, the sensation is soon forgotten. Normally good beekeepers wear a veil to prevent stings to the face, but work with bare hands and receive occasional stings to the wrists and hands.

People who have never been stung by a bee often have no itching or swelling at first. After a number of stings most people begin to itch more and swell at the location of the sting. Sometimes the swelling can be quite extreme (and comical if it occurs on the face), however swelling is a normal reaction in someone who is developing immunity, and only lasts until immunity is developed.

Immunity to bee stings builds up fairly quickly in most people. After several weeks of occasional stings, the reactions diminish, itching is no longer a problem, and swelling is much reduced.

Immunity can fade over periods of time without stings such as over winter. Some sensitivity is not uncommon for the first few stings after such a period, even for beekeepers with immunity.

my neighbors from the lake swear by using a dab of gasoline on the sting. said they did it for years; on their kids, too.

i wouldn't recommend using it on pets, though...once, their dog got stung and sure enough, out came the gasoline. instead of just putting a dab on the sting area, they actually poured some out from the 5 gal can and got the whole area wet. (drenched). well sir, that dog let out a yelp and took off running as fast as you ever saw a dog run! did a couple spins and came back at us just as fast..shot right past us and ran full speed into the closed garage door! the whole door shuddered as the dog hit it that hard. he just stopped, backed up about half a step, and then completely and limply fell over onto his side without moving at all. i asked, did he break his neck?...is he dead???? neighbor said, naw...just ran out of gas.

i'll be in town all week...try to catch my 11 o'clock show...thank you

JV_Thimble said:

I'm glad to know now that I'm not the only one. Have been bit on trips with buddies. They get stung, swear, and it's over. I land up with a baseball glove for a hand or a potato sack for a leg, and itch like you don't know. Used to wonder if I was allergic in the tradtional sense. But it sounds like it's just the way some of us are built. Even big tough log-cuttin kinda guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.