We have ignition!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
So the wife listened to the news. They warned of the potential of frost. I knew I was done for right then. So she puts on an over shirt. Then she covers up in a afghan blanket. My chair side thermometer says it is 51 f outside and 72f inside. By 11 pm I am getting jabs about "why is the stove not running". It isn't worth showing her the thermometer. So I go down to the family room. Vac out the dust in the stove, Plug in the stove through the surg protector, dumped in a bag of 3 year old pellets, then hit the start button. 2 to 3 min. later, smoke, then fire.
So I'll let it run a while. Hate to think of this as the start, but, what to heck, It is what it is.

So the wife listened to the news. They warned of the potential of frost. I knew I was done for right then. So she puts on an over shirt. Then she covers up in a afghan blanket. My chair side thermometer says it is 51 f outside and 72f inside. By 11 pm I am getting jabs about "why is the stove not running". It isn't worth showing her the thermometer. So I go down to the family room. Vac out the dust in the stove, Plug in the stove through the surg protector, dumped in a bag of 3 year old pellets, then hit the start button. 2 to 3 min. later, smoke, then fire.
So I'll let it run a while. Hate to think of this as the start, but, what to heck, It is what it is.
I feel your pain.......

My goal (not necessarily the Mrs.) is to make it until the first day of Fall, Sept 21st, before igniton. Don't put your money on that happening. Checked my records, 2 out of the last 3 years were Sept. 15 and Sept 16th. The other was Oct 14th, I'm not sure how that happened, if it actually did.

Tom C.

31 degrees this morning on the porch. We have ignition and lift-off. Hope the tomatoes survived.

unplugging the vent and oak today and reinstalling the nozzle. will probably burn a few minutes each night at least just to keep it dry.
soon though it will really be go time.

Way too early, But I see you are very well trained as we must do what the boss says or else(swinging frying pans come to mind)! ;)

Luckily my wife looked at the stat, But decided a sweat shirt was enough to take off the chill. Whew! :cool:

Way too early, But I see you are very well trained as we must do what the boss says or else(swinging frying pans come to mind)! ;)

Luckily my wife looked at the stat, But decided a sweat shirt was enough to take off the chill. Whew! :cool:

No give, no take. Way it is!

No give, no take. Way it is!

I do understand as my wife takes blood thinners and it effects her circulation. When she gets the chill instead of getting all bundled up, We gladly raise the temps to comfort her. Even if we have to bop around in shorts and tee's.

I got a feeling I will also have an early fire as well.

Reactions: The Ds
46 degrees this morning, broke down and put chaps on for the ride to work at 4:30 am. Refuse to burn until at least October 9 (wife's b-day), point of honor (unless I'm doing a "test burn" at 4 or 5 in the morning, just to make sure everything works, ya know, yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.........)

Will be closing up the pool and opening up the stoves this weekend but hoping we won't need
to fire em up for atleast a few more weeks.

Hello

54 Deg F in the shed/workshop this morning so I had to fire the Santa Fe for a little warmth! 1st time this season!

I was outside barefoot at 5 AM putting the end of my pipe back on so I could hit the switch. I took enough heat last night, didn't need any more that early.

I lit mine last night just to see it burn, next thing I know the missus and 2 old dogs were sitting on the floor next to me. All 3 growled when I shut it down. Me thinks the time grows short.;lol

My goal (not necessarily the Mrs.) is to make it until the first day of Fall, Sept 21st, before igniton. Don't put your money on that happening. Checked my records, 2 out of the last 3 years were Sept. 15 and Sept 16th. The other was Oct 14th, I'm not sure how that happened, if it actually did.

Tom C.

well last year I suffered through to almost mid-october before breaking down and relying on my oil heat. With a pellet stove, I won't have to sit under a heavy blanket with only my nose peeking out! BUT.....I don't want to start burning my pellet supply either! I'd rather look at the hoarded stacks.....all 31 bags....so far. ==c

Look here is how it is done.

You get a couple of large batches of relishes all salted for their overnight water removal. Oh say enough to fill many jars.

Then first thing in the morning with your dishwasher set to hi temp wash, sanitize, and heated dry. You wash the first batch of jars while you do the relish cooking which is followed by the jar, and process routine

Then on to the second batch of relish. By the time you are done the house is well heated, it stinks, and you are dripping yourself.

Don't ask but the house here still smells like a lot of onions and vinegar were gone through.

Got the third batch of stuff all salted for tomorrow.

Who needs to burn pellets to keep warm when there is still stuff to do to prepare for winter?

the weather is just getting nice out now!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
I love these cool nights. Nothing like Sam Adams Oktoberfest in one hand and my wife curled up in my other arm. Pellet season will happen soon enough but until then I'm going to enjoy.

Reactions: smoke show
I fired up mine just to make sure it would light. First time since July when it was installed. Only burned for about 1/2 an hour and shut it down. I'd like to see October 1st at least before I really start to need it

Status
Not open for further replies.