We still have power!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Thats what the wife said after the drops. The wife was in the rhino taking care of the Cherry just in case it went when I was dropping the pine. When I dropped the pine it was being supported by the pine tree to the left in the picture.

It looked like the pine was going to roll out on the transformer so I made a dash to the tuf-tug, I started cranking hard which brought it through the pine away from the transformer. :sick:
The Cherry was the easier of the two (good wood), I thought just the opposite.

I grabbed the DR Chipper so I could clean the area up, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4503.jpg
    100_4503.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 100_4504.jpg
    100_4504.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 411
  • 100_4505.jpg
    100_4505.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 417
  • 100_4506.jpg
    100_4506.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 418
  • 100_4507.jpg
    100_4507.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 397
  • 100_4508.jpg
    100_4508.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 415
zapny said:
Thats what the wife said after the drops. The wife was in the rhino taking care of the Cherry just in case it went when I was dropping the pine. When I dropped the pine it was being supported by the pine tree to the left in the picture.

It looked like the pine was going to roll out on the transformer so I made a dash to the tuf-tug, I started cranking hard which brought it through the pine away from the transformer. :sick:

I grabbed the DR Chipper so I could clean the area up, attached are some pictures.

zap
good job!

Zap- got alittle tricky eh? Nice work. Too warm here today 60f, did alittle splitting, too muddy. May try tomorrow, still so warm though. Be well.

Backwoods said:
Zap- got alittle tricky eh? Nice work. Too warm here today 60f, did alittle splitting, too muddy. May try tomorrow, still so warm though. Be well.

Started raining the last hour I was outside, not sure what is going on tomorrow but wood might be involved.

zap

Dunragit said:
zapny said:

zap
good job!

I'm glad we had the pine hooked up to the tuf-tug. :eek:hh:

zp

I am glad you are safe zap. I was worried about you today. :)
Good job my friend.

The heart started beating just a touch faster when the pine I was dropping started to roll out of the other pine, still have some jump in my step thank god, all is good.

Thanks
Zap

Zap ya scared me. I read the post before I looked at the pictures. And thought it was falling at a transformer on a pole. Trying to snatch a tree that could fall on a power line could cause bad things to happen! Glad ya got it down safe.

Billy

Knew you could do it!
Good job :)

gotta live on the edge a little sometimes.

ecocavalier02 said:

I saw dollar signs when it started to roll out of the other pine towards the transformer, I wonder what a new one cost.

zap

zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

I saw dollar signs when it started to roll out of the other pine towards the transformer, I wonder what a new one cost.

zap

My guess on the transformer is way more than you wanna spend. Nice save & planning on a tough drop Zap. Headed out in the AM to tackle a dead leaner for the neighbor lady. Ought to be a bit of a challenge as it's leaning toward the power line as well. No place for a motorized pull, so I'm gonna use a come a long & block rig. Could be fun. A C

amateur cutter said:
zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

zap

My guess on the transformer is way more than you wanna spend. Nice save & planning on a tough drop Zap. Headed out in the AM to tackle a dead leaner for the neighbor lady. Ought to be a bit of a challenge as it's leaning toward the power line as well. No place for a motorized pull, so I'm gonna use a come a long & block rig. Could be fun. A C

Make it a safe one.

zap

Good job zap. I heard they brought in extra generators for the Giants game tomorrow just in case things went south! Lol....:)

wishlist said:
Good job zap. I heard they brought in extra generators for the Giants game tomorrow just in case things went south! Lol....:)

Who do you like to win the game.

zap

I think Eli will have a good game, decent weather. Giants win but sorry zap they won't win there next game!

wishlist said:
I think Eli will have a good game, decent weather. Giants win but sorry zap they won't win there next game!

The Giants will be lucky if they win tomorrow, if they do win plus come out of the game healthy then the game against the Pack should be a good one.

zap

Reminded me of four years ago when I dropped a pine down by the driveway. The drop pretty much went just like I wanted it to. Except the top hitting another tree, bending it back and it launching that pine 180 right over and on top of the power lines that run up my driveway. Sunday afternoon in July and I knocked the power out to the entire neighborhood. Made the call. Guy shows up down at the end of the driveway and I go up to him saying "Some stupid Harry Howeowner dropped a pine tree on the lines and took out the power.". He grinned and asked "Did ya break the wires.". Told him no and we headed up. He went up in the bucket and his saw wouldn't start. I went into the woods and came out with the lil Husky 142 and told him that I knew that both it would start and that it would cut that tree. He came down and got the saw and went up and cut it off the wires. After he replaced the fuse on the line down the hill I told him that the CEO of the co-op and the right of way supervisor, both of whom I know, were going to have a ball sending me the bill. He said "All I saw was a tree that fell over on the line.".

I asked him what color he wanted his new pickup to be.

zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

zap

Zap, that would certainly cost more than all your saws together! Glad you got that down okay. We had a maple that was all set to fall on the power lines. I refused to take it down and had asked the power company several times to take it down before it took the power line down as this would be much dollar saving for them. Finally they did take it down and boy was I happy they did it. Came very close to taking the line down anyway. They could not get heavy equipment back there so had to do it with the chain saw. Wow, it was close.

I know a fellow who dropped a tree on a power line. That particular tree cost him several thousand dollars!

Status
Not open for further replies.