weight of green ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
I have been cutting on a green ash that fell in January of 09. The part I am on is about 18" through. I can cut a piece that is 16" long by the 18" dia. and can barely lift it. Is ash normally this heavy? I read where you can burn it after cutting but from the weight of it, I would think it is saturated with water, or maybe concrete the way it feels. Anyway, just curious if this is normal.

Rob

I will be watching this thread with interest. I cut ash for the first time on this place last year and saw the same thing. Sopping wet and heavy. Got a half cord sitting for two years from now and am curious about the stuff.

BB - Oak burner

KYrob said:
I read where you can burn it two years after cutting...
There, I fixed it for you. I have burned Ash less than one year seasoned, but two years is better and three, better still.

This is a Green Ash, not green Ash - correct?

If possible avoid cutting any wood in spring as it is filling up with sap. Wet wood is very heavy.

White ash indeed can be quite heavy, however, after the ash borer gets to eating and they start dieing they get a lot lighter. Also, you can cut in the winter and burn the next winter with no problems.

BeGreen said:
If possible avoid cutting any wood in spring as it is filling up with sap. Wet wood is very heavy.
I cannot imagine a Green Ash that fell in January of 09 filling up with sap now. Could be soaking up lots of water though if it has a lot of contact with wet ground.

Ash is heavy wood and always cures way faster than oak for me.

Thanks for the replies guys. The tree in question is not on the ground except for the root ball. It's a big tree as the first 25 feet or so is 30+ inches through. It's on a pretty steep hill so I am cutting and rolling to the bottom. The tree is dead as nearly all the roots were exposed and broken but the top limbs kept it from laying completely on the ground. It's not the easiest tree I have ever cut up due to where it's located but it's free wood and a heck of a workout.

Rob

Howdy Rob

I just cut up a big ash that was standing dead for a year. Some of the stuff was dryer near the top and I could tell a difference in weight between splits of the same size but it it still heavy. My sister Bil and niece and nephew were over last nite. I threw some in the bonfire for them and it burnt ok but not real well. But its only been split for five days. It was bit more than I wanted to lift so I used tongs on the loader bucket.

IMG_1219.jpg

Billy

Green Ash is a lot wetter than White Ash. The city has been taking down tons of Green Ash as they were heavily planted as a street tree after the Elms died off. I've found that a little longer than a year is good for Green Ash. I would say that Green Ash burns with a prettier flame than any other wood I've had. It's a little heavier than Silver Maple, throws a lot of heat and has nice coals. White Ash can be ready to burn in two months.

As others have mentioned there is a difference between green ash (unseasoned ash -- could be white, could be green, could be a different type of ash) and Green Ash. There is most definitely a difference in green White Ash and Green Ash . . . green White Ash is said by some to be able to be burned pretty quickly whereas Green Ash is said to need several months to season.

The reality of my experience however is that it doesn't matter if we're talking green White Ash or Green Ash . . . while White Ash has less moisture content than many tree species and could be burned in a woodstove (especially in a Smoke Dragon), the fact is it doesn't burn especially well or put out as much heat as you would get by letting that White Ash season for a year . . . and as LL mentioned, letting it season a year plus gives you even greater dividends. The truth is White Ash and Green Ash both should be seasoned for at least a year to give you true burning bliss . . . I mean to say, technically you could burn any wood species right after cutting it . . . however it would take a lot more time, kindling and you would not be happy with the final trifecta: less heat, smoked up glass, cresoote build up in the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.