Weight ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Hi Y'all,
Since I've been hauling this large find, I've been wondering about how much a cord/cubic foot/cubic yard, etc. of wood weighs. I need to know a ballpark figure so I don't overload my single axle 6 X 12 trailer that I've put 4' sideboards on. The first load was so heavy that I thought the axle would break--the tires looked squashed and it was VERY hard to stop. Since I'm paying $5.00 per load, of course, I want to get as much as I can on the trailer, but I've got to exercise some self-control here, since I don't want to wreck my means of hauling it.

Volume-wise, I can haul 2.36 cords, but limited the first load to approximately 2 cords and that was the monster load. I also have a Ford E-350 with a 460 engine and a 4.10 rear end that I pull the trailer with, so I'm not underpowered. I don't have any nearby scales to weigh that trailer or I would have already.

As mentioned in another post, this wood is 60 years old or more, but is still very heavy in quantity. An estimate or a range from some of you experienced dudes will be most welcome--or if you've weighed a load of approximately the same size, that would be great!

Thanks

Does sound like you're over doing it...do you carry a spare tire for the trailer? with all the wood you're gonna end of hauling why not go to a shop and have dual wheels put on if the axle will hold it.

KarlP said:
TWO cords on a single axle trailer?!?! Hope that was dry white pine on an 8000lb axle. :)

There are tables of weights for green and dry wood by species. Here is one -

http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/General_HeatingWithWood.htm

WOW! Thanks for the chart. I see now why the trailer was so difficult to manage under that load. I need to check, but I doubt this trailer is rated to carry anywhere near that weight. GULP!! :ahhh: Guess we were lucky to make it home without a "negative" event.

But, you did make it. Count your blessings! Now you'll make out just fine. Keep on trucking!

Ill bet that the trailer spec will keep you under a cord. I can do 3500 pounds in my trailer and when I hit a about a cord, that trailer really starts to show it. Go slow and be careful - and carry a spare tire and an extra jack that can handle the trailer with that load.

Yes, that is a whole lot of wood for a single axle trailer.

With a dual axle trailer, a blow out is easier to manage, as you can ramp up the good tire and get it up in their to swap... on a single you are SOL.

Texas, perhaps you can add another axle to the trailer if the frame is engineered to accept one. Here is a site which might give you some direction: http://www.championtrailers.com/

Did you loose pile it or pack it in tight? A loose piled cord is somewhere around 200 cu ft.

[quote author="Texas boy" date="1232496257"]Hi Y'all,
Since I've been hauling this large find, I've been wondering about how much a cord/cubic foot/cubic yard, etc. of wood weighs. I need to know a ballpark figure so I don't overload my single axle 6 X 12 trailer that I've put 4' sideboards on. The first load was so heavy that I thought the axle would break--the tires looked squashed and it was VERY hard to stop. Since I'm paying $5.00 per load, of course, I want to get as much as I can on the trailer, but I've got to exercise some self-control here, since I don't want to wreck my means of hauling it.

What are your limits on that $5.00 per load? Can you do a large truck load (bobtail) for that $5.00 or is the quantity already established?

LLigetfa said:
Did you loose pile it or pack it in tight? A loose piled cord is somewhere around 200 cu ft.

It is packed in TIGHT! Lynda believes in using every cubic inch of space and making the most of each trip. I bring it to the trailer and she stacks it. Then when I start to unload and stack it, it seems like there's twice as much to take off as we put on! Each stack occupies two feet of trailer length. If she encounters two short pieces, she'll lay 'em end to end to make up a single stick. If she gets one that's a tad longer, she'll work it into the voids in the end of the previous row. I don't know if this is obsessive-compulsive behaviour or not, but that's the way she operates. The result is a VERY heavy trailer if I don't watch her very carefully. One thing I can say for her, she doesn't poop out--she'll stack as long as I tote it to the trailer. Both trips have been loaded in the cold (in the 20s and 30s) and the wind (over 35 mph) and we've had wood debris and dirt in places you would not think it could get, with us wearing so many clothes! She's a trooper!

Now if I just had a stove!! :lol:

Mesquite said:
Texas boy said:
Hi Y'all,

What are your limits on that $5.00 per load? Can you do a large truck load (bobtail) for that $5.00 or is the quantity already established?

The load size is not specified. I could bring in a 53' semi-trailer and load it for five bucks . . . if I had one. The point is that I must be able to show that I bought the wood. He understands that and set the price accordingly. He was the one who said, it didn't matter what I wanted to bring to load it in. Since it takes me a few days to unload and stack it, I can't keep someone else's equipment tied up for that long. My trailer is small, but at least I have it. Even at $5.00/cord, that's not a bad price.

Where in S. Texas are you?

Texas boy said:
Mesquite said:
Texas boy said:
Hi Y'all,

The load size is not specified. I could bring in a 53' semi-trailer and load it for five bucks . . . if I had one. The point is that I must be able to show that I bought the wood. He understands that and set the price accordingly. He was the one who said, it didn't matter what I wanted to bring to load it in. Since it takes me a few days to unload and stack it, I can't keep someone else's equipment tied up for that long. My trailer is small, but at least I have it. Even at $5.00/cord, that's not a bad price.

I was just curious as to what was defined as a load. Too bad you don't have access to a tractor and a float. Then of course you would need help with the loading etc.

I am located southwest of San Antonio. Down in the brush country and way out in the sticks! What we have to burn here other than old cedar fence posts, which we save for that reason, is live oak and mesquite which are abundant on the ranch. I prefer the mesquite personally. Obvisously we don't have the major cold most of these folks on here are used too but it's sure nice to be able to heat the ranch house which is 1850 ft., with one stove and not use the central unit which is propane. I am seriously considering getting another unit for my house in town.

Mesquite said:
Texas boy said:
Mesquite said:
Texas boy said:
Hi Y'all,

I was just curious as to what was defined as a load. Too bad you don't have access to a tractor and a float. Then of course you would need help with the loading etc.

I am located southwest of San Antonio. Down in the brush country and way out in the sticks! What we have to burn here other than old cedar fence posts, which we save for that reason, is live oak and mesquite which are abundant on the ranch. I prefer the mesquite personally. Obvisously we don't have the major cold most of these folks on here are used too but it's sure nice to be able to heat the ranch house which is 1850 ft., with one stove and not use the central unit which is propane. I am seriously considering getting another unit for my house in town.

I would love to have access to something or some way to haul more wood without all the work! Just having something that would dump would save some time. The way it is every piece of wood is handled at least four times, BUT at least I don't have to cut and split it--and I AM thankful for that.

I stopped in at a place where there is a large stack of pallets and asked the fellow I know there if he could spare any of 'em. He asked how many I needed. I kind of hesitated and then told him as many as he could part with. He put his head to the side and looked at me for a moment and then said, "I know you! You've got something big going on! What is it?" So I told him that I needed 'em for stacking wood on. He said, "How much wood you got to haul?" I asked, "Which batch?" He asked, "You got more than one?" I told him I had a few cords to haul and left it at that, but he did say I could come by and get however many pallets my trailer would handle. I think I may be able to parlay some wood for better hauling equipment. We'll see. Sure would be nice to get all that 800 plus cords to my house before 8-10 years go by. I figure if I can cover my back yard with wood, all I'll have to mow is the aisles! My back yard is 220' by 150'. If I only stack it five feet deep, it will hold 1290 cords, but that's without any aisles. 'Course I've got three acres just back of the fence, so I've got some room to work with.

Now if I just had a STOVE!! :lol:

Wood is a lot harder to get than a stove...keep stockpiling that wood while it's cool down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.