Weird... chain bite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
So when my 260 (freshly sharpened yellow tag chain) ran out of gas today, I fired up my old Poulan Pro 38cc saw with 16" bar (the 260 has an 18 on it. I was cutting oak, roughly between 8" and 15" in diameter.

What didn't surprise me:
- poulan vibrates like a train, stihl is smooth as silk
- poulan looks and feels cheap, stihl doesn't
- the missing 12cc between the two saws is apparent

What DID surprise me was that the poulan, with a box store Oregon chain on it, really felt like it was biting into the wood in a way the full chisel on the 260 didn't. The 260 was throwing huge chips, don't get me wrong. It just seemed like I had to work the saw more to get it to bite, whereas I just let the poulan claw it's own way through.

To reiterate, the chain on the 260 was new and I went back and sharpened just to make sure. I'm tempted to put a stihl safety chain back on to see how it compares.

What gives? Aside from the difference in bar length I'm drawing a blank.

Beats me, but I'm an imbecile. I would have thought the full chisel would pull through on it's own more noticeably than a safety chain. Maybe it's an Oregon chain trait.... again, no idea which is why I'm asking :)

Perhaps your depth gauges (rakers) need some attention? Carlton has a great read on this topic although I haven't yet tried their product. The book I got free from baileys even though shipping was 8 dollars.

skull said:
Perhaps your depth gauges (rakers) need some attention? Carlton has a great read on this topic although I haven't yet tried their product. The book I got free from baileys even though shipping was 8 dollars.

Nope. I filed all the rakers down as I do on all my new chains because I've found that they're all almost always too high from the factory.

Well perhaps the Poulan only seems more aggressive due to it's less than silky way of running, I don't know. What I do know is if your Stihl finds out about this you're probably going to hurt his feelings..haha

heffergm said:
skull said:

Nope. I filed all the rakers down as I do on all my new chains because I've found that they're all almost always too high from the factory.

That's funny I noticed the same thing on my new chain. I picked up a pferd filing tool and was surprised at the bite it took out of the rakers after only one tank of gas. I never would have thought it if i didn't see it for myself.

you must be running the 3/8 set up on that 260?

For the most part. It'll run wide open no problem. It does seem a wee bit down on torque, so I'm going to get some fresh mix together, but it's not such that I think it's impacting what I'm feeling.

I put a safety chain on it this morning for kicks, and it actually seems to cut a bit better than the chisel, which is odd.

heffergm said:
For the most part. It'll run wide open no problem. It does seem a wee bit down on torque, so I'm going to get some fresh mix together, but it's not such that I think it's impacting what I'm feeling.

I put a safety chain on it this morning for kicks, and it actually seems to cut a bit better than the chisel, which is odd.

I am not a big fan of the 260 pro I couldnt get it to run 3/8 rs worth a crap but should pull the .325 pretty well

The fresh yellow chain might be a little too aggressive for the saw, especially if you have filed down the rakers. Might just be taking too big a bite. The 260 is not a very large displacement or powerful saw.

If you are having to force the Sthil to cut, it's something to do with the chain. Buy a good Oregon chain (LPX) & see if that solves the problem.
Must be an Oregon dealer near you.

http://www.oregonchain.com/38.htm
IMHO, Oregon make the best chains

heffergm said:
So when my 260 (freshly sharpened yellow tag chain) ran out of gas today, I fired up my old Poulan Pro 38cc saw with 16" bar (the 260 has an 18 on it. I was cutting oak, roughly between 8" and 15" in diameter.

What didn't surprise me:
- poulan vibrates like a train, stihl is smooth as silk
- poulan looks and feels cheap, stihl doesn't
- the missing 12cc between the two saws is apparent

What DID surprise me was that the poulan, with a box store Oregon chain on it, really felt like it was biting into the wood in a way the full chisel on the 260 didn't. The 260 was throwing huge chips, don't get me wrong. It just seemed like I had to work the saw more to get it to bite, whereas I just let the poulan claw it's own way through.

To reiterate, the chain on the 260 was new and I went back and sharpened just to make sure. I'm tempted to put a stihl safety chain back on to see how it compares.

What gives? Aside from the difference in bar length I'm drawing a blank.

I never thought that a Stihl 260 owner would ever be converted to Poulan.
But this is a new year !

God Help Us!

Lol. No, no worries there. The stihl is on another level. I think it's one of two things: the chan profile or the poulan simply vibrating so much it gives a false impression of pulling harder. I'm going to try an Oregon chain on the stihl for kicks and then call it a day. I still don't have any desire to pick up the poulan again!

Status
Not open for further replies.