Welcome Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
Hanging on the front door when we came home from our vacation yesterday. Almost a dollar more per gallon than the last time. At least we're good for a few years :coolsmile:

Attachments

• IMG_20110829_181142.jpg
    IMG_20110829_181142.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 351
Oops

Attachments

• IMG_20110829_185712.jpg
    IMG_20110829_185712.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 370
That would be considered dirt cheap out here. It is almost twice that.

When we were house hunting here we only went to one house wood oil heat. Not very common heating around here. As we left and were talking about what a great house it was I saw the oil bill like that on the front door. Over eight hundred bucks.

Kept looking.

That's LP. I have no idea what oil is. I would imagine like diesel, somewhere around four bucks.

jeff_t said:
That's LP. I have no idea what oil is. I would imagine like diesel, somewhere around four bucks.

Oil is between $3.80 and $4.00 over here. Might have dipped recently. Either way it is in the "Not a chance in hell am I paying that" category.

We're also on the Propain, I looked at the gauge the other day and will need a fill before winter. :sick: They also want to put in a smaller tank since they're no longer making money off me. Last year I paid the rental fee but this year they can haul this thing out of here.

Good for you rdust. It has been many, many moons ago when our tank was hauled out and I do not miss it at all.

The propane man stopped in last week. For some reason they still have me on the regular deliver schedule, even though I don't use very much anymore. He pumped in 50 gallons @ $2.09/gallon, which seems high for this time of year. I think same time last year I was paying $1.89/gallon. I figure I use about 15 - 20 gallons/month for DHW and maybe 50 gallons for heat a year (my stove can't do it alone when temps hit single digits).

Pretty soon we're going to have that awkward conversation about my tank. I don't pay rent on it because I'm on the auto-fill program, but I know I'm not meeting the minimum. If the tank weren't underground, I'd have them pull it buy a 100 gallon tank. They're either going to try to tell me to pay rent, buy more propane, or dig up the tank. I'm going to tell them to stick it. We'll probably meet somewhere in the middle.

Natural gas is a 1/2 mile away, but the hookup cost is ludicrous, otherwise I'd be on that.

It's been a long time since I was on propane, I always hated those fill ups and dealing with them. I often wondered if it would just be better to get a couple 100lb tanks and take care of the filling by myself as needed.

I got the garage and house tanks filled last week. Due to the install of a wood burner in the garage, probably just a top off, but the house took around 100 gallons at $1.70. Roughly stable for the last couple of years if filled in the "summer".

The last year or so we have all been "spoiled" by relatively low propane prices.
Be prepared for upcoming "price corrections"...........

BeGreen said:
That would be considered dirt cheap out here. It is almost twice that.

Maybe in your neighborhood but "out here" as in western washington retail prices are well below 2 dollars per gallon of LP. You maybe thought the receipt was for oil?

lukem said:
Natural gas is a 1/2 mile away, but the hookup cost is ludicrous, otherwise I'd be on that.

I've got natural gas across the road, but the hookup cost is ridiculous. For what little I use, I'll give my money the the local family owned company

jeff_t said:
lukem said:

I've got natural gas across the road, but the hookup cost is ridiculous. For what little I use, I'll give my money the the local family owned company

Same story here.....There is NG literally 35 foot from the line that was run from my house to the road for a NG hook up and there quote was $7500-$10,000. I said no thanks!
That propane price is crazy low! last time I checked it around here it was $3.59 per gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.