Well I did it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
Its 73 degrees here and I just had my first fire in my newely installed Napoleon 1100c. I got it installed today and had to try it out. I just did one smallish load and got it hot enough to get the secondary burn going. I think I'm going to like this stove. It lit fast and burned real nice.

Can't wait untill it drops below 70 degrees outside ;)

I'll try to get pictures up later.

If it started easy in these temps, it's going start itself in winter. Congratulations.

Way to go, Joey. Most stove mfr's manuals have instructions for the first few break-in fires, to cure the finish...if that's the case with your new stove, make sure you follow those instructions. It can be pretty stinky & a bit smokey, so best to get it done before the weather's such that you don't want to crack open any windows. Congratulations! Rick

Good going!If there is any curing stink!its a nice time of year to air the house out.

Congrats!

(Waiting for the pics. Patting foot.)

Joey, is that a Carpenter Ant in your avatar? :ahhh: Rick

Its not just me seeing that ant!The bit of brew i had earlier didnt cause me to see things :lol:

I just hope I didn't do any damage to my monitor trying to kill the bahstad. 8-/ Rick

Here is the stove on the morning after:

stove1.jpg

After looking over the instructions again I realize my fire may have been a little bigger then the recommended start up fire. I remembered the small hot part but forgot about the just kindling part. I only added a couple of small splits that filled about 1/4 to 1/3 fo the box so I'm hoping I'll be ok there. It did smoke and stink up the place so I'm glad I it with the windows open.

BTW, Erik I'm in Winslow TWP'

That really does look nice. Maybe I'll have to start a break-in fire soon in my new stove. I'm try to wait till the first coolish night in Sept. though.

Schweet.

really good looking stove and i like the hearth pad its on. now seems like a good time for a few small break in fires because you can open the windows!!! then when the cold weather comes you don't have to waste your heat.

JoeyD said:
Here is the stove on the morning after:

stove1.jpg

After looking over the instructions again I realize my fire may have been a little bigger then the recommended start up fire. I remembered the small hot part but forgot about the just kindling part. I only added a couple of small splits that filled about 1/4 to 1/3 fo the box so I'm hoping I'll be ok there. It did smoke and stink up the place so I'm glad I it with the windows open.

BTW, Erik I'm in Winslow TWP'

Kinda close to the wall isnt it? looks good anyway

Yes it does looks close. The manual says with double wall pipe I can go as close as 2" to combustible surface on the corners. I have it 8" so I hope that is good. The clearances are one of the reasons I chose this stove as none of the rooms in my house are very big.

well if your electric outlets melt than i guess its too close

Nice work on the hearth. Did you lay the tile yourself?

Hanko said:
well if your electric outlets melt than i guess its too close

It's a jacketed stove. The clearances for this model are quite close for corner installs, among the industry's closest. They'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.