Well, there goes the nook ...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
"There are a zillion sites on the Internet dedicated to endless discussions about guns of every description. Hearth.com isn’t one of them. Rick"

In case anyone is wondering this is the thread he is talking about:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/89747/

I'm not sure what the issue is but I found that post to be a bit rude in the least. We can talk about trucks, saws, stoves, pellet stoves, boilers, temperature outside, inside, aches/pains, a TV show that someone watched, what someone cooked for supper, etc, etc, etc but mention something about guns and it's shut down right away?

I have to side with Hoss and Nate on this one. I saw nothing offensive in that thread. Sometimes our moderators get a bit touchy unnecessarily.

A 22 will work fine if you shoot the person right in the eye :coolmad:

Now that being said..this gun stuff could go on forever here in the Nook!!

Lots of legal guns in my house.. but i try not to bring them up on a Heating Site..But thats just me ;-)

loon

Nothing touchy about it. Gun threads have always been shut down here. If I had seen it before Rick I would have deleted the thread. Problem? Take it up with the boss.

Good sites out there about self-defense with not one thread about wood stoves. I go there for that stuff and here for wood burning. Seems fair to me. I am thankful for Hearth.com people. And, I try to keep in mind the position of the mods. Helps me appreciate their contribution. You know, the teacher's pet that was sent into the boys bathroom to roust us. Even those twerps had a contribution. :cheese:

loon said:
...this gun stuff could go on forever here in the Nook!!...

Exactly. I'm a gun owner too, and I enjoy talking about them as much as the next person. But just as you allude to, loon, it's basically an infinite subject, and once the precedent is set that gun discussions are OK here, there'll be no end to them...and the subject has nothing whatever to do with the purpose of these forums. There are forums all over the web that are just exactly for talking about firearms. Yes, our threads here wander around a fairly wide range of subjects...the vast majority of which are Hearth-related...or at least they normally start out that way. The Inglenook was implemented as a more casual, light-hearted alternative to the Ash Can, because the Ash Can tends to get pretty nasty at times. So far, it seems to be working fairly well, and I think we'd all like to see that trend continue. Part of nurturing it, in my mind, is culling out clearly non-hearth related topics that have a real potential to snowball into a major diversion from our primary focus. As always, if anybody has a problem with an action I've taken in my role as a Moderator, like you think I'm being "rude" or "touchy unnecessarily", I highly encourage you to take the matter up with the Webmaster. Rick

Retroviral vector insertion sites associated with dominant hematopoietic clones mark "stemness" pathways.
Kenny
(Found that when I looked up "insertion of dominance" and it sounded pretty profound.)

Not a gun fan myself (and the Dixette will get ya, with her aim !!), and don't think that they shouldn't be had/owned (with in reason) but agree that this is not the place for it.

The Mods have a tough job, and it's gratis. Cut them some slack.

Well since I was the original poster of that thread I guess it's my fault. Thought the nook was for "off topic" stuff and since I valued the opinions of those here I thought it would be a good place to post a question like that. Wasn't trying to stir anything up, just an honest question.

Best to keep my big yap shut and go do some splitting instead.

schlot said:
Well since I was the original poster of that thread I guess it's my fault. Thought the nook was for "off topic" stuff and since I valued the opinions of those here I thought it would be a good place to post a question like that. Wasn't trying to stir anything up, just an honest question.

I read that quick & saw "spitting"
roll.gif

schlot said:

schlot, you got nothing to apologize for or feel like "it's my fault" about. Of course you weren't trying to stir anything up, you were just asking a question. Yes, the Inglenook is for "off topic" stuff...but there have to be some limits as to how far off topic we allow the discussions to go, because there are a whole lot more off-topic topics in the world than there are on-topic topics. Gun stuff is one we've just never tolerated here, because it's one (among jillions) that has a tendency to get out of hand real quick. There's certainly no reason for you to feel like you need to keep your "big yap" shut. None of the rest of us keep ours shut. %-P Post on! Rick

Guns don't burn wood or warm our homes. I am not anti-gun but thats just the wrong topic on this forum.

Pete

Pete1983 said:
Guns don't burn wood or warm our homes. I am not anti-gun but thats just the wrong topic on this forum.

Pete

I'd hate to say wrong, but just one of those things that is better left undiscussed here.

Just like many places you go to in life; there are certain places where bringing up certain conversation ends poorly, even being brought up innocently.

It's that simple.

pen

And on that note...

Status
Not open for further replies.