Well... there's good news, and there's bad news.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondesense

Feb 8, 2011
south central Missouri
As much as it hurt to lose this tree, in the second pic you can see the edge of the shed where we currently keep our wood.
That, and a nice check from the HO insurance policy made it a little easier to take.

Attachments

• Zapped03.jpg
    Zapped03.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 394
  • Zapped04.jpg
    Zapped04.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 416
I bet the ground was smoking after that....it caught the full brunt.

Two close encounters with lightning:

1.) Out in the yard on a cloudy day. NO signs of lightning whatsoever. Locust tree 25 feet away got popped. Bark everywhere. I don't remember hearing the thunder but remember feeling the heat...which is weird because my ears were ringing for the rest of the day.
2.) Sitting on the front porch one night with a storm coming in. Cherry tree about 50 yards away gets nailed. Loud as hell. Smoke from the ground. Circle of dead grass around the tree.

Also reminded my of my grandpa's crazy neighbor. He said the lightning struck trees were no good for firewood because they "would burn, but not put off any heat"....whatever that means.

Lukem, that is a new one on me. Never heard that one. I highly doubt there is much to it though.

Backwoods Savage said:
Lukem, that is a new one on me. Never heard that one. I highly doubt there is much to it though.

I'm with ya....like I said...crazy.

Actually, that pic is a couple of years old. The main branches are burning as I write, and it seems warm enough to me.

The main trunk is still on the ground, but that is this spring's project. With DH looking at knee replacements, and my back on the wrong side of 50, we're in no hurry.
We don't burn 24/7 primary heat anyway.

insurance paid for the tree!? huh
maybe i dont understand

lukem said:
Also reminded my of my grandpa's crazy neighbor. He said the lightning struck trees were no good for firewood because they "would burn, but not put off any heat"....whatever that means.

He offered to get rid of it for you, too ?

Status
Not open for further replies.