Went to the woodshed this morning and. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
. . . got a wheelbarrow full of wood. I could have got 2, or possibly 3, but I went with just one. Anyone else ever do this?

Nope, haven't used the wheelbarrow here :)
Still got snow here, so I use my kids handy dandy red plastic sled for the schlep from the pile to the porch.
Made 2 sled trips the other day....get about 2 days burning out of a full sled :)

I brought in just one wheelbarrow full before but the wife doesn't want it in the kitchen and besides, it got jambed in the doorway.

I've started a Woodburning Yearbook, wherein I place a photo of every split I burn, along with the name I've given it, and a short bio of its lifetime accomplishments. Eventually, I'll include sections for the future years' wood, and follow them through their seasoning years. I have about 6 cords of Senior wood (many of those splits are going to be held back to graduate next year), 3 1/2 of Junior wood, and maybe 10-12 of Freshman/Sophomore wood. What I hope to do is instill a burning desire in these young splits. Rick

UPDATE: I knew we needed a name for the yearbook, and so I took that question to all the splits for them to decide. This took some time, as they're not all resident in the same housing facility here on the campus. The results are now in. By a wide margin of votes, the book will be named simply "The Log".

fossil said:
I've started a Woodburning Yearbook, wherein I place a photo of every split I burn, along with the name I've given it, and a short bio of its lifetime accomplishments. Eventually, I'll include sections for the future years' wood, and follow them through their seasoning years. I have about 6 cords of Senior wood (many of those splits are going to be held back to graduate next year), 3 1/2 of Junior wood, and maybe 10-12 of Freshman/Sophomore wood. What I hope to do is instill a burning desire in these young splits. Rick

UPDATE: I knew we needed a name for the yearbook, and so I took that question to all the splits for them to decide. This took some time, as they're not all resident in the same housing facility here on the campus. The results are now in. By a wide margin of votes, the book will be named simply "The Log".

-
Any smarts on the football team this year or still the same knotheads?
Actually, I think you really went out on a limb with that post.
Stand-by....

fossil said:

I can see nameing and labeling each piece of wood, but a bio? I think that's going a little far.

I put a ramp on my deck, so I can bring full wheelbarrows right into the living room. Oddly the good woman has yet to complain.

Dunebilly said:
I put a ramp on my deck, so I can bring full wheelbarrows right into the living room. Oddly the good woman has yet to complain.

And such is the definition of a good woman.

fossil said:

Fossil! I do believe you have been inhaling too much wood smoke! :lol: Either that or you are suffering from too much "winter-stove-stoking"! :lol:

Shari

fossil said:
I've started a Woodburning Yearbook, wherein I place a photo of every split I burn, along with the name I've given it, and a short bio of its lifetime accomplishments.

I'm very impressed. I have a hard time telling my splits apart. They all look the same to me.

Maybe we need to spend more quality time together. I guess just cutting them in pieces, using 22 tons of force to rip then apart, throwing them in a pile, stacking them in rows and then incinerating them in a roaring fire after they have reached maturity isn't showing them the love I feel for each and every one of them. Maybe I should take them to Disney World?

Sorry, I'm back now. I had to go toss a few more of Fossil's children into the fire. :)

wendell said:
I have a hard time telling my splits apart. They all look the same to me.
The splits probably say the same thing about us humans.

Bigg_Redd said:
. . . got a wheelbarrow full of wood. I could have got 2, or possibly 3, but I went with just one. Anyone else ever do this?

Yes.

Some of the comments made on this thread show symptoms of "cabin fever" or split personality. Harrah, Harrah!

Jackpine

I'd like to be able to hold a bunch of them back for next year but it looks like we'll have a full graduating class.

I have been doing it one or two wheel barrows at a time th epast few weeks instead of doing the necessary 5 or 6 or 7 to fill up the wood rack in the garage and the ones inside.

Approaching the end of the season - maybe just a slump.

Bigg_Redd said:
Yes. As a matter of fact, you just missed me last night. Haven't you been wondering about that wheelbarrow track running off towards the street and how quickly you've been going through wood?

fossil said:

I don't know about all the individual details, but I have my record of how many have 'split' each day since I started burning. Makes for an interesting spreadsheet.. well, interesting - like beauty - is in they eyes of the beholder I'm sure. I do wonder if anyone else keeps a record of everything going into their stove each day..

Status
Not open for further replies.