We've burned FAR less wood that I planned!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FixedGearFlyer

Burning Hunk
Oct 8, 2010
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Based on what the previous owners and the neighbors told me, I thought we were going to burn 8 to 10 cords of wood this winter, especially since we added 1000 sq ft of living space on the second floor. I posted in another thread (about the modifications we made to our furnace) that we'd just started on our third cord of wood . . . but I was wrong. We've burned a stack 13 feet by 3 feet by 6 feet, plus a stack 13 by 1.5 by 3 . . . for a total of about 2 1/3 cords of wood!

We're about as far North as you can go and stay in the lower 48 and are heating with a forced air central wood furnace. The backup baseboard heaters haven't kicked on yet, and the first floor is poorly insulated and drafty . . . I'm absolutely thrilled!

I put up 11 cords last spring and summer, so it looks like we're at least a year ahead. Man, does that feel good. Is it to early to crack a celebratory beer?

Nice to get a sweet surprise once in a while!!

I'm up there in the northern 48 also. We have burned less than expected. Really haven't got the 2 or 3 weeks of deep freeze like we used to. We're on the downward slide to warmer weather. Just waiting to see the surise before 7am.

Status
Not open for further replies.