what a daY friday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burrman

Feb 17, 2009
michigan
so i got a call from the wife as i was leaving work friday says the stove went out.....says its real Smokey in the house..hmm first thought hopper fire..got home....yup it was a H fire..got that out then i open windows for like 4 hours..now the furnace kicks on .. >:-( ....hate using the furnace as i don't ever hardly use it in the winter..... so anyways skip to today (Sunday) tore the stove apart....lower auger motor died on me....( good thing i have a 1 year warranty ends 2-17-10) so i have to take it back tomorrow and get a new one as i was tearing it apart i noticed something......got some questing for yall....

1.I have my pellets in my shed....will they draw moisture in there because i noticed when the stove got real hot from the H-fire moisture was coming outa the seals on the hopper lid?
kinda weird i thought but i dunno?

2. After i cleaned the stove ...the tube where the auger is and the fire was has like a gummy/sticky black soot in it. this normal?

i hope to have this back together tomorrow...70°F . just don't cut it i like my warmth lol
Thanks guys
B~man :vampire: :vampire:

The sticky stuff is creosote.
One time my stove shut down on over-temp.
It was b cause I had the combustion air shut off and I had it all over the glass.
The creosote comes from lack of air or improper burning.

Why not call the manufacturer and tell them of the hopper fire and demand a new stove!!. I know if i have a hopper fire and it's due to a faulty part it's going back big time. Can't hurt to call them and explaing the issues. Hopper fires are rare and most manufacturing folks will want that stove back to inpsect... I'd call em. and groan..

How do you store your pellets in your shed? I presume in its factory sealed bag. If you dump your pellets into a covered bin in your shed, then yes, moisture will enter the pellets. Don’t open the bag until it’s time to burn! My Harman manual states not to burn pellets with 8% or higher moisture as it could damage the unit or burn improperly. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.