What a difference a few inches make... wood length that is.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Let's try to keep it clean here. For the past few years I have had wood delivered every year to fit in the F-100 and VC Aspen prior to that. Pieces were 14 -16" long with a few oversized that had to be cut to length on the band saw. Every year I help my neighbor stack his delivered 2 cords cut at 12". His wood guy cuts them special order for him. It is a matter of convenieice and ease for his wife to load the stove. Let me tell you, stacking 2 cords at 12" length is a monotonous, royal PITA.

This year I have the F3 that can take an 18" log. I had my wood guy deliver a cord last week with the longest pieces at 18". I stacked about 3/4 of a cord myself in an hour as I have to move it from the pile to under my porch and then stack it. I will say moving bigger splits and stacking them went like a breeze. The pile looked well dented after the first 15 minutes of stacking. Plain and simple: bigger splits + less pieces to move = wood stacking bliss. It is enjoyable to stack again.

My wood guy delivered a nice cord+. 1/2 maple and the other 1/2 was cherry, oak and locust mix. I will find room for another cord to get ahead one year. I've read it time and time again here, and I am putting it into practice. Thanks for the advice everyone.

At 12" long splits.. You had a whole extra stack for every cord. (4 stacks/ 4ft tall by 8ft long at 12" vs 3 stacks at 18"). That makes for a lot of extra work. Congrats on the new stove... Bigger Wood, means longer burn.

Just think, If we all had Lopi Liberty's we would be doing 2 stacks at 24" (for E to W loading/N to S Much shorter/I forget, but I think its like 14"). My buddy at work has one. It will take a LONG peice of wood.

I got a new wood boiler and went from 16" long wood to up to 30" long wood. I usually cut at 24" - 26" It has reall made my wood cutting go much faster. I actually got a size larger boiler than I needed for the larger firebox. Only downfall to cutting longer is the rounds are heavier and I somtimes have to split in half or thirds to load them.

Get a few years ahead and you start splitting 8x8s...talk about a time saver.

fishingpol said:
Let's try to keep it clean here. For the past few years I have had wood delivered every year to fit in the F-100 and VC Aspen prior to that. Pieces were 14 -16" long with a few oversized that had to be cut to length on the band saw. Every year I help my neighbor stack his delivered 2 cords cut at 12". His wood guy cuts them special order for him. It is a matter of convenieice and ease for his wife to load the stove. Let me tell you, stacking 2 cords at 12" length is a monotonous, royal PITA.

This year I have the F3 that can take an 18" log. I had my wood guy deliver a cord last week with the longest pieces at 18". I stacked about 3/4 of a cord myself in an hour as I have to move it from the pile to under my porch and then stack it. I will say moving bigger splits and stacking them went like a breeze. The pile looked well dented after the first 15 minutes of stacking. Plain and simple: bigger splits + less pieces to move = wood stacking bliss. It is enjoyable to stack again.

My wood guy delivered a nice cord+. 1/2 maple and the other 1/2 was cherry, oak and locust mix. I will find room for another cord to get ahead one year. I've read it time and time again here, and I am putting it into practice. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Smart man figinpol. And once you get ahead on your wood, the following years become easier and easier. But I would not stop at one year ahead. Shoot for 2-3 years and then you have it made in the shade. It is better than money in the bank too. Not to mention the satisfaction you will get every time you look at those beautiful wood piles.

Stacking those short pieces indeed can be a task. The longer the wood, the easier it is to stack and, of course, you stack a lot more in the same time frame.

My Jotul can take up to about 24 inches. I cut them to 20 inches. 2 pieces fit nicely on a pallet to make for a cord every 2 pallets stacked about 5 ft high. The only 3 down sides are, splitting is a little harder than 16 inch splits, but not much, other people that need wood may not be able to use mine and three, when you put the splits in some outdoor firepits they just do not fit.

The F-3 is as big a stove as I can get, so I am limited on the split length. Yes, Dennis if I can manage to store more under my porch or somewhere in the yard, another cord or two will be in order. I have read your posts and many others about getting ahead and will put that into practice. I don't want to be hoping that in the fall that my stacks will be ready. I have nearly a cord of maple, apple and locust from last year that is ready to go. I'll use the new delivery mid to late winter.

I so wish I had a big yard with a wood lot, but time and finances keep me in this house and yard and I make do with what I have. Life is good, so I can't really complain.

just got 4 cords for my f100 this past week. cut at 14inch or less and have one cord stacked so far.
mostly all maple, hope that is sugar maple.
hopefully this little f100 heats our 700 sqft house or ill have to get something like the F3 next year.

dont really mind the shorter pieces, nice and light easy to handle. and hopefully dry fast enough to burn this winter.
i do have alittle over one cord of white birch that was css early last winter so that should be in really good shape come fall time.
may have to mix that birch in with the maple.

id post a pic of the wood i got but cant figure out how!

The F-100 is no slouch. It is a good heater for it's size, and it cooked us up nicely last year. The smaller splits should let you pack it up pretty well. This summer is a bust so far up this way for seasoning.

The F-3 for me was a fortunate alignment of stars or something for me to wind up with it. If I did not get it, I would be fine having the F-100 for another winter. This forum has helped me in making informed decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.