What a gal...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Just wanted to let everybody know, my gal is also noting firewood all over the place. Everytime we pass a downed tree I tell her that would be good to burn eventually...Now she said she was doing it when she was driving yesterday. Its spreading!!!!

Your lucky, mine only tells me she cold and start a fire.

I've been preaching this for the last four years to my family every time we drive somewhere and pass a downed tree. Because of the recent two freak storms here in MA, there are several downed trees. My wife will come home and tell me where they are. Go figure, I've created a wood scout!

stejus said:
, I've created a wood scout!

LOL
Good one. "Wood Scout" Free fire wood locator.
Get a web site, $1.59 per find & 10% of the wood. :lol:
Same here, I got some good birch close to home, wife saw the power company cutting, I was out the that evening. :)

It's surprising how a few cooler days can initiate the wood radar in loved ones ;-)

My wife was running the splitter, my two daughters speeding the rounds to her and taking away the splits, even my daughters friend was helping today. I was out felling in the woods and brining in more. It is GREAT when it can be a family thing. Now yesterday there was way more fighting/whining. Perhaps we need to have more friends around. LOL

James02 said:
my gal is noting firewood
Now if you can get her toting firewood... :smirk:

bpirger said:
My wife was running the splitter, my two daughters speeding the rounds to her and taking away the splits, even my daughters friend was helping today. I was out felling in the woods and brining in more. It is GREAT when it can be a family thing. Now yesterday there was way more fighting/whining. Perhaps we need to have more friends around. LOL

When I started the wood burning life style and associated scrounging I had the notion that this would be a nice family thing to do together. Fast forward 4 years, my two daughters love to tell stories about how dad thought it would be a fun thing to do as a family and how I dragged them into the woods to help carry out rounds to load the truck. Somehow, that family thing never happened and the wood work became my thing to do .... and I am totally fine with that.

It is a disease.

Got Wood said:
bpirger said:

When I started the wood burning life style and associated scrounging I had the notion that this would be a nice family thing to do together. Fast forward 4 years, my two daughters love to tell stories about how dad thought it would be a fun thing to do as a family and how I dragged them into the woods to help carry out rounds to load the truck. Somehow, that family thing never happened and the wood work became my thing to do .... and I am totally fine with that.

It certainly can be a family social event. Just yesturday I had my older daughter run the splitter while her boyfriend and I brought the wood over so it could be a constant motion. We split a little more than a cord in less than 2 hours. I kept reminding my daughter that in 2013/2014 she will feel the effects of her labor. :)

Woody Stover said:
James02 said:
my gal is noting firewood
Now if you can get her toting firewood... :smirk:
LOL... describe toting. My wife has on one or two occaisions been seen going to the woodshed for a few choice splits when none in the woodbox were suitable.

She also helped me move close to 4 cord into the shed. Loaded the cart, drove the tractor, unloaded and stacked. She's a keeper!

As for the noting part, she still struggles with ID'ing. Keeps calling Aspen Birch. Quaking Aspen in these parts can have a whitish chalky bark, hence the mistaken identity.

She likes Birch, I like Ash. We both hate Aspen.

Status
Not open for further replies.