What a problem to have!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinpa

Oct 25, 2008
Western Pa
I was walking through my father in law's property about a week ago and couldn't believe the amount of uprooted trees that have lifted due to the remnants of the tropical storms that came through this summer. It has gotten to the point that I've started making maps and taking pictures so that I get out what is in line to rot first (that being cherry). Ive got several huge beech trees to get to, not to mention dozens of large sugar maples. In 2 days, I cut up over 6 full cord of sugar maple, beech and cherry. My shoulders ache from carrying the lengths from the drop to the truck. Wish I had a better system, but I cut into managable lengths, throw it on my shoulder, and carry it to the bed of the truck, usually 25-50 yards away. But as the title suggests, what a problem to have! I'll posts pictures when I can, but for now, I'm having to much fun to waste to much time on the computer! Happy cuttings!

mattinpa said:
I was walking through my father in law's property about a week ago and couldn't believe the amount of uprooted trees that have lifted due to the remnants of the tropical storms that came through this summer. It has gotten to the point that I've started making maps and taking pictures so that I get out what is in line to rot first (that being cherry). Ive got several huge beech trees to get to, not to mention dozens of large sugar maples. In 2 days, I cut up over 6 full cord of sugar maple, beech and cherry. My shoulders ache from carrying the lengths from the drop to the truck. Wish I had a better system, but I cut into managable lengths, throw it on my shoulder, and carry it to the bed of the truck, usually 25-50 yards away. But as the title suggests, what a problem to have! I'll posts pictures when I can, but for now, I'm having to much fun to waste to much time on the computer! Happy cuttings!

It's a good problem to have, all I cut is blow down on our property. Will the FIL let you make a trail or is it to wet?

zap

mattinpa said:
...My shoulders ache from carrying the lengths from the drop to the truck. Wish I had a better system, but I cut into managable lengths, throw it on my shoulder, and carry it to the bed of the truck, usually 25-50 yards away...

That is how I move wood. It works a lot faster than carrying stove-length pieces if you can't drive to the tree. Keep on cutting!

Good method provided the wood isn't too dense. Learned that the hardway with freshly down red oak, about 16-20" in diameter...cut it into 3 foot logs figuring I'd minimize my cutting time and get two lengths in the truck bed a few rows high. Each one of those bastards had to be a good 200+lb. I only did one load like that.

I hear you! That beech is crazy heavy! Managable sections of the beech ended up being only 18" long! Zap, FIL has no problems with trails, but you hit the nail on the head with the wet woods. The truck has chains on it to get me close, but I'll just live with a little exercise!

Matt, you have a wonderful problem! Congratulations.

I recall one time cutting some wood that was only about 12" diameter. I cut them about 8' long, stood them on end and then tipped them up onto the shoulder. It made the shoulder hurt a little (added some padding) and made the legs a bit weak by the time I got to the wagon, but it worked like a charm.

I learned a long time ago you can carry a lot more weight if in long poles than you could carry in short ones. We used to have unofficial contests when I worked in the woods. When I started out they all beat me. Once I figured out how to do it, none could beat me which surprised the what-not out of me. Maybe that is where I goofed and this old body is now paying the price....

Good call with the length! I'm pretty anal about the length of my rounds, so I take a measuring stick and go up the downed tree with a paint stick. 18 inches, mark. 18 inches, mark. I try to cut the lengths so I have at least 4 measured sections before I cut. Once it's loaded into the truck, I take it back to my wood piles and cut, with no further measuring required. That heavy beech got the best of me though! Tough to walk out 3 foot diameter 6 foot lengths!

Well, if you can't wrap your arms around it, that does cause a bit of a problem. :cheese:

mattinpa said:
Good call with the length! I'm pretty anal about the length of my rounds, so I take a measuring stick and go up the downed tree with a paint stick. 18 inches, mark. 18 inches, mark. I try to cut the lengths so I have at least 4 measured sections before I cut. Once it's loaded into the truck, I take it back to my wood piles and cut, with no further measuring required. That heavy beech got the best of me though! Tough to walk out 3 foot diameter 6 foot lengths!

Made this because I'm no good at estimating the lengths as the log gets bigger/smaller diameter.
Easy on & off (wing nut) Small logs, mark & cut. over 16" diameter (rare) I walk down the log & mark, then remove it to make the cuts.
Old graphite fishing pole.
Sometimes i put it on my small saw & use it to mark the length.

Attachments

• 102_4115.jpg
    102_4115.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 277
Status
Not open for further replies.