What air setting do you normally run your stove at.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Just curious as to what setting most burners run their stove. Wide open -closed down or somewhere in between.
Its about 35 outside now 20s overnight and i just fired up my stove for the season. If its any warmer outside my house gets too hot.
Im running all the way closed on the air setting and the Bsmt (where the stove is) is 81 and the 2nd floor(living space) is 77 third floor (Bedrooms) is 74. House is about 3000 SF.

Reactions: Curly
Just curious as to what setting most burners run their stove. Wide open -closed down or somewhere in between.
Its about 35 outside now 20s overnight and i just fired up my stove for the season. If its any warmer outside my house gets too hot.
Im running all the way closed on the air setting and the Bsmt (where the stove is) is 81 and the 2nd floor(living space) is 77 third floor (Bedrooms) is 74. House is about 3000 SF.

Just barely open if i have 3 splits in it once it is up to temp.

Half open if i have 1 or 2 splits in.

Normal setting for us is (on a numbered control 1-4) at .75 That is just under 1 on the control.

Normal setting for us is (on a numbered control 1-4) at .75 That is just under 1 on the control.
I find that at the lowest setting gives you get the most heat per hour over a long burn time .My Air control slides about 4" .
This harman is a bear ,24 /7 burning is too much heat for the shoulder seasons. Just right when the serious cold hits.

With the Castine, I go 3/4 for 5 min when I hit 300 then to 1/2 when I hit 400 and then 1/4 when I hit 450 to 500 and then let it coast there. It seems to get the house up to 77 or 78 when outside is 30. Since this is my first year, I don't really know what it will do when we are below 10 degrees which we often are come late December. I may have to get it up to closer to 600 before I go below 1/2 and make sure the stove is really full. I have heard the best way to run it is to run it down to coals before loading, but this is contrary to how we ran the old stove so we find ourselves tossing in logs every now and then when we are home on weekends. Right now we are only filling the stove one half full since the temps have been pretty mild.

Overall, my stove is just a smidge open. Got really good draft, any more open its just heat out the chimney.

The Encore tends to like more air. Usually 65-80% closed during the day.

Defiant is all the way closed.

The 30 is just a smudge away from all the way closed most of the time.

Every fire is different. Cruising position on the primary air lever could be anywhere from 3:30 to 5:00, depending on the other variables - temp, wood type, thermometer readings, load size, wind, split size, etc. IOW, it varies.

27 degrees last night and ran with it closed down to 1/8" like the manual states and my house was 70 this morning when I got up with lots of coals. So, I run with it closed mostly.

Typically I run the encore between fully closed and about 20% open (straight down on the lever).

The routine for mild days or an overnight burn is to run hot, about half open till the room gets to temp and then close in stages to completely shut to maintain.

On cold days (20s or below) I might need to keep the air open that 20% or so, but rarely much more than that unless I let the house cool down a lot. The stove would probably over fire if I ever left it more than 25% open for a full cycle on more than 3 splits or so.

Once up and running . . . closed or just open a dite to a quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.