What an empty wood rack looks like

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
No need for a picture. Anyone can visualize it.

The dear wife helped me move almost 4 cord from my outdoor stacks into the woodshed. This was wood I bucked up in March of 2009. I sure could have used tire chains on the tractor. It was slip-sliding all over the place.

Should be enough in the shed for this Winter and next. Now I have room at my processing area to get started on another 12 cord.

I my book the wife's a keeper!

Keeper for sure! Let me guess, you can't wait to get the 12 cord in?

At first glance the title of this thread just sounded emo. Like "hearth.com emo" or somethin.

I have no choice but to wait for the ground to freeze so that the grapple truck can deliver a load which probably won't be for another month or two.

No, not EMO but if it makes others feel better, here's a pic of one of the two racks as it was being filled in 2009.

100_0342.JPG

The umbrella is over top the splitter, not the woodpile. I put EPDM rubber roofing over that stack. The other stack was naked. I could not tell any difference between the two stacks except the bark on the top had separated from the wood on the naked stack. Good thing the bark wasn't on the bottom!

LLigetfa said:
The umbrella is over top the splitter, not the woodpile. I put EPDM rubber roofing over that stack. The other stack was naked. I could not tell any difference between the two stacks except the bark on the top had separated from the wood on the naked stack. Good thing the bark wasn't on the bottom!
I could tell where the umbrella was........it was a funny, or supposed to be. Must be losin' my touch.
Wood in my stacks has loose bark no matter which direction it's facing. How do you secure the rubber?
I just can't seem to like the idea of putting epdm or plywood or whatever on 2 rows of wood that are each 112' long. YMMV

Ja, well... it was just an experiment and my double row stack was just 20 feet long. I had half a dozen 20 foot long rebar strung along the top and I laid the EPDM on top of the rebar, wrapped it around the two outside rebar and clipped in place with slitted sections of poly pipe. I then laid a few logs across it on top to weigh it down. It only blew off once during a big windstorm.

I knew the umbrella comment was in jest.

LLigetfa said:

Dennis you payin attention. This man knows how to split in real comfort. You could be sitting down on your cushion and milkcrate splitting vertical, in the shade with your wife rolling splits to you. You NEED one of these over your splitter. :roll:

Well WoodpileOCD, I do like to split wood in March/April when the sun is shinning so perhaps I should rig up an umbrella too.

On the other hand, I still am trying to figure out how to stand my splitter up like quads does after finishing splitting a pile. Tough job...

WoodpileOCD said:
LLigetfa said:

Dennis you payin attention. This man knows how to split in real comfort. You could be sitting down on your cushion and milkcrate splitting vertical, in the shade with your wife rolling splits to you. You NEED one of these over your splitter. :roll:

The picture taken from the other side probably has an armchair next to the splitter....... ;-)

LLigetfa said:
No, not EMO but if it makes others feel better, here's a pic of one of the two racks as it was being filled in 2009.

100_0342.JPG

Those logs don't look "normal", they look like trees. If your logs are that big, how big is the stove?

My firewood supply looks more like that little pile in front of the rack than the wood on the rack. I guess that is the advantage of log loads over scrounging.

woodchip said:
The picture taken from the other side probably has an armchair next to the splitter....... ;-)
Here is a pic from the other side. No milkcrate, no armchair, and no splitting vertical. The umbrella support won't allow it.

If I really felt the need sit, it would have been on that big old burl round I was using as a work table.

100_0340.JPG

rayg said:
Those logs don't look "normal", they look like trees. If your logs are that big, how big is the stove?
There is no split bigger than 4"x6"x20" and several will fit in the stove. Fire box size is 22"w x 11"h x 18"d (3.1 cubic foot).

LLigetfa said:
woodchip said:
Here is a pic from the other side. No milkcrate, no armchair, and no splitting vertical. The umbrella support won't allow it.

If I really felt the need sit, it would have been on that big old burl round I was using as a work table.

100_0340.JPG

Splitting wood the way God intended . . . ;)

It's only an umbrella, huh? Bummer. I thought maybe you'd have a cool story about how you were able to snap a pic of a bat-wing UFO silently hovering over your stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.