what causes these marks on a round?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
woodmarks.jpg

I just pulled this alder off the rack and noticed the odd marks at the end. What gives?

I have some wood like that, it was where it was cut with the feller buncher.

Maybe a side-ways bent cutter tooth on the chain. What's a feller buncher?

Maby a lose chain and that wood looks green

That's alien markings....
Commonly found in Canada.. looks like they are moving south

I agree it a buncher

Could those marks come from the splitter?

Looks to me like you are forcing the saw hard into the wood every inch or so of the cut, only using 6" of the tip of the bar & may have not sharpened the chain evenly.
Get the saw face up against the wood & let it do the work.
Your arms will thank you, less vibration transmitted to you hands & arms & less effort :)

luckilLEE said:
Bent tooth/raker, worn bar, or you may have pinched your bar in that cut. Def not a feller buncher.
+1
A feller buncher would leave arc shape lines and a rougher cut.

This was from a load that I cut with my dad. After seeing his chain, I'm going to guess this was a piece he cut.
And it's not fully seasoned. This is alder that was down a long time but only cut and split a few weeks ago. I only brought a couple of chunks in and stood them up in front of the insert.

luckilLEE said:
Bent tooth/raker, worn bar, or you may have pinched your bar in that cut. Def not a feller buncher.
+1. I notice that from time to time when my chains are near the end of their sharpening lifespan. The tooth is easily bent when it is worn out, and makes that kind of pattern......

Yep those are saw chain marks from your saw! A feller buncher cuts and shatters the ends and they look kind of ragged and exploded like.

blacktail said:
This was from a load that I cut with my dad. After seeing his chain, I'm going to guess this was a piece he cut.
And it's not fully seasoned. This is alder that was down a long time but only cut and split a few weeks ago. I only brought a couple of chunks in and stood them up in front of the insert.

Are all the rounds like that? Just wondering alder is almost the same as ash when it comes to building stuff. (Like guitars)

I only saw a few rounds in the stack that look that way. Most of that wood is stuff I cut but some was cut by my dad. He ran into some problems with his chain on that trip so it makes sense that it's marks from his saw. It's was an old chain to start with.

Darn crop circle people are now marking up our firewood . . . ;) :)

I think I burned all the wood that was cut with a feller buncher or I'd take a picture. To me it looked like that, though I am on a ~3" screen as well so the picture isn't easy to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.