what do you do w/your wet ash once vaccumed out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG32

Aug 18, 2010
CT
I use an adaptor on my vaccum that sucks the ash into a can w/water. like the ones drywall workers use, I know others here do the same, my question is, what do you do with that nasty, thick ash water? I have made the mistake of letting it sit for a week, now it is a mud pile.

The ash is a liming agent, great for grass but not so good for acid loving things. If put in your compost pile be certain to mix it in well and test the compost's acid level, treat accordingly.

I like my ash dry...........MUCH easier to work with.

-Soupy1957

I just sprinkle mine over the grass.

don;t get them wet and then spread them on your driveway as ice melt

your not following me, they are wet, they get sucked into a bucket of water to keep dust down.
but once the are in the bucket, what should I do withthem

STANG32 said:
your not following me, they are wet, they get sucked into a bucket of water to keep dust down.

If you have a compost pile dump it on that, just be sure that you eventually mix everything up and test the acid level of the compost before using it.

Or spread it on the lawn.

STANG32 said:

Dump them in the woods.

I rototill the ash into my garden in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.