What do you do with your chainsaw tools?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeburn

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
USA
Looking for some ideas on where to stow everything chainsaw wise. When you go out to a field, you need your oil, gas, file, and saw wrench, among other things. Wondering what some guys do so as not to lose everything and remember everything each time?

The case I got [used] for my husky has enough room for a quart of bar/chain oil and misc tools. I can fit an extra chain or two in there too. It is either that or I would use a small toolbox.

I carry what I need in a canvas rucksack except for the gas and oil. The sack has flagging tape, files, chains, spark plug, recoil springs and pawls, clutch spring, sprocket, bar nut, air filter, pull cord, and every tool I need to take the saw apart. Gas is in a Scepter 3 gallon can and the bar oil is in its original one gallon container.

When I worked in the bush professionally, the rucksack also had my lunch and a first aid kit complete with butterfly closures and sewing kit. Fortunately, I've never had to suture myself or anyone else.

The saw goes in the hard case Sears was nice enough to provide me with. There is a little notch where the saw tool is stored (its a T-shaped wrnech with the two socket sixes you might need on the saw and a flathead on the other end for the chain adjustment. I can also fit a 1 quart B&C oil bottle in there, spare chain and file and my earplug and safety glasses. I either carry the gas can or put it in a milk crate wiht any other stuff I might need.

Saw and wrench in hard case. Gas, oil, wedges, sharpener etc. in wire milk crate. Cant hook and axe in trailer. Also take along extra gloves with warmers inside so I can put on a warm pair of gloves and some water to drink. Once in a great while I'll even take a camera.

LLigetfa said:
I carry what I need in a canvas rucksack except for the gas and oil. The sack has flagging tape, files, chains, spark plug, recoil springs and pawls, clutch spring, sprocket, bar nut, air filter, pull cord, and every tool I need to take the saw apart. Gas is in a Scepter 3 gallon can and the bar oil is in its original one gallon container.

And a partridge in a pear tree...

I have a wire shelf in the garage where it's supposed to be put away.
But it usually all sits in a metal Radio Flyer little red wagon.

my tool box on my truck carrys nothing but chain saw stuff and ropes.

It's all in the crate on the front of the trailer. Saw slips in the double wall on the front, gas, oil, maul set in the crate. Tie-down straps, wrench for tightening chain, spare gloves, and a few odds and ends go in the empty paint can. Anything goes wrong that requires more tools than that (other than my Leatherman in my pocket and the ATV's cheap tool kit) then it's time to go home.
IMG_4835.jpg

Milk crate. Fits everything I need. Bigger stuff stays in truck.

Backwoods Savage said:
LLigetfa said:

And a partridge in a pear tree...
No tree but the partridge and pear could be my lunch. Much of the stuff has been in the sack for near 30 years and I had no cause to remove any of it.

The milk crate seems to be a popular one. I'll have to try that since I don't have a dedicated wood vehicle to keep it all in permanently.

Same as LEE'S. My ammo can is spray-painted orange so I shouldn't leave it behind or run it over.

John_M

5 gallon bucket. I use them for most everything. I have a special one for chainsaw gear. If I used anything with holes, like a crate, then the scrench would fall out. The bucket does have the problem of filling with rain water.

I built a box for the front rack of the ATV that holds everything if I'm in the woods.

If I'm sawing the treelength in my yard I keep the scrench, files, stump vise, etc, in a small metal toolbox and carry the gas & oil.

Box made from wood scraps holds saw, bar oil, mixed gas, saw wrench, file, shop rags, wedges and splitting maul. Ammo can has extra saw chains, yellow carpenter crayon, fixed file bar attachment, files and saw wrenches.

Attachments

• sawbox.jpg
    sawbox.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 485
Hey, I have one of those ammo boxes too, except it's filled with various drill bits. 5 gal bucket might work even better, then no gas or oil would spill out in the vehicle. I do like the wood box idea though.

I've got a canvas tool-bag with inside pouches and outside pouches.

2# maul
splitting wedge
safety glasses
earplugs
files
felling wedge
gloves
other "accumula"

ax, hand saws, gas can, and chain oil go in truck bed.

Highbeam said:
5 gallon bucket. I use them for most everything. I have a special one for chainsaw gear. If I used anything with holes, like a crate, then the scrench would fall out. The bucket does have the problem of filling with rain water.

Right, I know you drilled some 1/4" hole in the bottom of that bucket.
My 5 gallon bucket fits in the milk crate that's strapped to the rack on the 4-wheeler. Bucket is more portable. Ropes, straps & bigger stuff in the bottom of the milk crate.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I've got a canvas tool-bag with inside pouches and outside pouches.

2# maul
splitting wedge
safety glasses
earplugs
files
felling wedge
gloves
other "accumula"

ax, hand saws, gas can, and chain oil go in truck bed.

That is THE COOLEST Hearth screen name yet! Welcome 2 the forum.

2 one gallon gas cans in bed of truck, each one of the three saws have their own cases with b&c oil quarts, spare chains, screnches, files, plugs....etc. and a larger fox gear bag that has all the safety gear for three people and stump vise, first aid kit, bottled water, a gallon of b&c oil, tape measures and other various junk. weighs about 40 pounds, but has wheels! Its an old gear bag from my motocross days, works well for me.

I've gone rustic . . . no fancy schmancy cases for me.

My gas and oil are tied together with clothesline . . . I can sling these two over my shoulder or carry them in one hand with my pulp hook.

My tools -- and I don't carry much -- spare chains, scrench and a couple of files I carry in a small 1 gallon container -- I think pool chemicals came in it. It had a cover, but I have no idea where that went to . . . if I'm walking into the woods I can carry this along with my fuel and oil with the pulp hook since it has a plastic handle that I can loop on to the pulp hook.

That said, typically I leave most of these tools back at my truck . . . or in my 4Runner's custom built aluminum diamond plate box that my cousin welded for me.

I just use a large gym bag I got on sale at Kmart. It holds my chaps, gloves, helmet, safety glasses, scrench(s), files, stump vice, gallon of oil, wedges, chains, and misc other small tools I might need. Sling it over my shoulder, gas can in one hand, saw in the other.

InterchangeabLEE,

Why thanks. I never thought that it would make a cool screen name for Hearth.com. I actually concocted it after visiting some Cowboy Action Shooting forums and thought the way they played with various character names was neat.

I liked Loony-Tune's French Canadian villain, Black Jaque Shellac, and just changed the last name to mimic my own.

Black Jaque Shellac is not the most well known cartoon caracter so I can't even find a picture on the 'net to use as an avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.