What do you guys think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatCityIAFF

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2011
Western CT
Looking into a pellet stove for my 1700 sq ft raised ranch. Stove insert will be going into fireplace in the basement. I would like this to be my primary heat source, since my oil furnace really doens't heat the downstairs at all. I use around 600 gal of oil a winter to keep the upstairs around 65, and since the downstairs only has one heat vent, that stays around 50-55 I would guess. The furnace intake is across the room from the fireplace, so i'm hoping if the downstairs gets around 70, then i can kick the furnace fan on once in a while and it'll distribute the heat upstairs. The two stoves that i've been looking at are: Tasman 40i for around $1200, and a Osburn 35-MF for around $1700. Anything good/bad about these stoves?? I'm completely new and really don't know that much.

gkoro said:
Looking into a pellet stove for my 1700 sq ft raised ranch. Stove insert will be going into fireplace in the basement. I would like this to be my primary heat source, since my oil furnace really doens't heat the downstairs at all. I use around 600 gal of oil a winter to keep the upstairs around 65, and since the downstairs only has one heat vent, that stays around 50-55 I would guess. The furnace intake is across the room from the fireplace, so i'm hoping if the downstairs gets around 70, then i can kick the furnace fan on once in a while and it'll distribute the heat upstairs. The two stoves that i've been looking at are: Tasman 40i for around $1200, and a Osburn 35-MF for around $1700. Anything good/bad about these stoves?? I'm completely new and really don't know that much.

Welcome to the forum.

Can you provide a link to that Tasman 40i (I believe it is an Inca Metal Cutting Ltd stove)?

Do you know what the flow rate is on that furnace you are going to kick on every once and a while, it matters because it is a large volume air mover.

Are you planning on maintaining this stove or have the dealer service it?

Heating the upstairs from the basement is a huge obstacle. A few on here do it but most have unsatisfactory results.

I was trying the same thing as you. Unless you can get the basement really warm (way hotter than 70) the furnace fan will cool most of the air before it exits to the upstairs. (Been there done that) My basement is finished out and well insulated.
You would not think it would be that hard to get heat to rise thru the stairwell. Its difficult. Ive tried everything. Its just not happening. And my upstairs is smaller than yours.

The best advice ive read on this subject. Put the stove in the area you stay in most of the time.

If you go this route i wish you luck.

i agree with jdempsey. I had the same debate with my wittus (upstairs or downstairs). i also have a new construction raised ranch that i wanted the heat to escape up the stairwell. Most people told me how difficult it would be and i believed them. i wanted easy and cut the oil costs. now its upstairs (approx 1300 sq ft) and it heats my entire upstairs to whatever temp i want. i fully recommend putting it in the place you spend most of your time. im cutting an electric fireplace for downstairs since i only spend weekends down there. just my opinion

People have been doing it since the 1900's with coal stoves, you just need to do it right. Need floor vents (large) between each floor, preferably directly above the stove. My Dad (78) was just telling me how they used to do it back in the day at his place. Big open grate vents between the floors. It may not be esthetically pleasing or feasible for most homes these days, but it works (or did work with coal stoves).

Those floor vents (holes cut in the floor and ceiling) are in most places against code these days.

But you are correct jmbones and so are the the folks recommending to put the stove where you spend the most time.

However heating from the basement is also possible, it just takes a bit of planning.

The OP put his finger on it when he mentioned using the furnace to circulate the air, but there are problems with doing that.

http://www.savannahheating.com/html/products.html Theres the link to the Tasman. I'm not sure on the flow of the furnace.

Wow guys thanks alot for the quick replys. I never thought that thered be so much thought going into it. I figured throw a stove downstairs, heat would rise, and keep the upstairs about 60. I guess thats why they have these forums!

Heres the deal. The downstairs is fully finished, and insulated well, built in 1990. The fireplace is down there, and not one upstairs. Since we moved in 3 yrs ago, my wife and I havn't put any furniture or ANYTHING downstairs, since its just us two us, and the upstairs is just fine. But we told ourselves once we got married we would use some of that cash and get a tv, couch, and stove down there for a movie/lounging room. Figured it would be toasty in the winter, keep the upstairs around 60, and the downstairs is nice and cool in the summer without having to run the AC.

I'm just trying to see if its reasonable to get a stove (kinda have to because its so cold down there now), and have the main furnace run less frequelently.

Well we have the stove here downstairs in what is my cave and office, this is a Ranch with a full walk out daylight basement. This house is a 2007 build. Downstairs there are two rooms, my cave/office and the garage.

There is a central stairwell with a high wall at the foot of the stairwell, this wall goes from the basement floor all the way to the ceiling upstairs. On one side of the stairwell there is a half wall. My stove is in the corner across from the doorway to the stairwell. The stove is angled towards the opposite corner of the room directly at my computer desk. This area is more than 500 square feet and is toasty all burning season long and cool all summer. Upstairs there are three rooms making up 1344 square feet, a large master bedroom directly above, a great room with a cathedral ceiling, and another small bedroom. The temperature upstairs is always in the sixties during heating season.

I rarely go out of firing rate 2 on my stove which is the freestanding version of that insert you were talking about. I downloaded and went through the installation manual, seems they have changed the controller again, as well as the burn pot.

You might want to talk to someone that actually owns that particular version of that stove. Those were sold as Savannah, and Hudson River as well as Tasman they are Inca Metal Cutting stoves.

Also take up Eric's suggestion and look at the Heatilators.

They, Harman, and Quad are all owned by the same group, the Heatilaters have Quad guts in them.

thanks guys. I really have no owners to talk to about it, most of the guys I work with either have wood stoves or outdoor furnaces. I'm thinking about wood to though. (less working parts? warmer?) My wood source is gone, so i'll have to buy it by the cord and store it under my deck. My pellets would have to be stored there too, covered of course. these are the two: I'd kinda like to stay in the under $2000 price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TASMAN-40I-...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a15064e47

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osburn-35-M...724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfaa057c4

gkoro said:
thanks guys. I really have no owners to talk to about it, most of the guys I work with either have wood stoves or outdoor furnaces. I'm thinking about wood to though. (less working parts? warmer?) My wood source is gone, so i'll have to buy it by the cord and store it under my deck. My pellets would have to be stored there too, covered of course. these are the two: I'd kinda like to stay in the under $2000 price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TASMAN-40I-...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a15064e47

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osburn-35-M...724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfaa057c4

A couple of things to consider before buying these stoves off ebay:

1. There will be NO warranty on the refurbished stove, or at least I see no mention of one on it, and the other "new" stove states that there are NO returns for any reason.

2. Is there a dealer near you to service these if you have problems?

3. If you need parts, where do you get them?

IMO, stick with one of the more well known brands that have warranty service available and parts availability.

For the prices they're asking, you can get a stove like these that has factory tech help, and parts:

www.amfmenergy.com/55trpepi--epa-certified-pellet-insert--2000552001.html

www.amfmenergy.com/multifuel-stoves.html

gkoro said:
thank you...looked past ALL of that before you brought that to my attention!

Glad I could help.

BTW, the links above are to brand new stoves, which obviously have full factory warranties. But that company also sells manufacturer refurbished stoves too, which also DO have the full warranty.

Only problem right now is that they're so popular and heating season is upon us, that I think they're sold out on a couple of models.

Just thought you should know

Status
Not open for further replies.