What do you think about this idea for heat circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
So my insert sits on the main floor of a 3 story house. The stairs to the end of the basement are at the end of the house and are 2 small flights (down 5 stairs then turn back 5 stairs). So pretty much I ain't gonna get heat from the stove down there. Don't really wan't another stove down there as that's where the kids hang out and I don't want to tend to it down there. I already know that the furnace circulation fan won't work. The return vents are to long and the fan blows to hard. I just get cold air out of the ducts when I run it. But here's my idea: The exhuast vents are short runs (none more that 5 ft ) . I also have 2 exhaust vents in the kitchen which are 4' apart. I think they put them there for symetry. What if I tapped into one of those vents and installed a lower cfm blower and pulled air from the exhuast vent and blew it out the others? I have a desk fan just laying face down over the register now seeing if it will pull some heat.

The right vent is the one I would tap into

n4uy2q.jpg

This is the vent from below

n4uy2q.jpg

rwhite,
Just a couple of questions. Is your stove insert on the same floor( level ) as the the two vents in the kitchen floor? If so I think it will quite difficult to get any real warm air through the duct work. If the kitchen vents are above the heat source and reasonably close by it should work well.

RPK1

RPK1 said:
rwhite,
Just a couple of questions. Is your stove insert on the same floor( level ) as the the two vents in the kitchen floor? If so I think it will quite difficult to get any real warm air through the duct work. If the kitchen vents are above the heat source and reasonably close by it should work well.

RPK1

Yes on the same level as insert. The desk fan blowing through the vent has done nothing so this may be another failed experiment.

It has been said many many times before... the best way to get heat to go down is to push the cold up to the stove.

Your best fans for this type application are the Tjernlund Airshare or some type of inline fan like the Fantech, also avaialable from Tjernlund. As you found out, there are static pressures which must be overcome for a fan to operate. Your little fan would move air but not against any resistance. At least look over the specs for the above referenced products and whatever fan you use try to get something that will be equal. A caution. I have seen fols try to do this with an available fan/blower laying around and it ends up costing a ton of dough to power it. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.