What do you use to pick up your pellet orders of 1 ton +?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crwalter

Feb 3, 2011
Southern MD
What do you use to pick up your pellet orders of 1 ton +?

As the title asks...

Deliveries do not count, my query is in regards to the vehicles used when you go pick up your pellets.

I use my F150 and haul a ton at a time, she squats quite a bit but it gets the job done.
This is with the pallet all the way back for unloading so it's sitting even a bit lower

Deer08005.jpg

66-65-101879.jpg

06 Ford F150 with the tow package. Handles the ton well. I have hauled my own for years. Previous was a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 but we added an air bag suspension for better hauling. But the best was a 1990 for f250 camper special(full floating rear and 1 ton springs) Hauled 75 bags no problem with the 460 EFI(well just wouldn't let me drive past any gas stations).

Attachments

• cubies side.jpg
    cubies side.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,240
You should get your pellets there too. My local TSC has Stove Chow @ $3.78 per bag or $189 per ton. My store has 22 ton and now they are a ton less. If I had the room to store them I would get 5 ton. I'll be better prepared next year.

If the place is close I will use my 2000 dodge dakatoa and make 2 trips for a ton. If I have to drive a distance , like yesterdays 2 ton pick up, I will use the the wifes 2002 ford exploder with a trailer.

I use my Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LS 4x4 (2011) w/Trailering package to haul 1 ton at a time in the bed, doesn't squat too badly. The truck is rated for nearly 1 ton of weight in the bed, but it can haul a lot more than that using a trailer.

IMG_1060.JPG

I use 2010 Honda Ridgeline PU. For ton I use 18ft trailer, bed only holds 1500lbs, so I also may do 1/2 ton at time.

Indy3 said:
You should get your pellets there too. My local TSC has Stove Chow @ $3.78 per bag or $189 per ton. My store has 22 ton and now they are a ton less. If I had the room to store them I would get 5 ton. I'll be better prepared next year.

Such a puny price, ha. TSC in White Plains, Md. has Lignetics for 6.99/bag.

I didn't bother asking what a ton runs.

I told the TSC employee that other locations had pellets for $189/ton and she just shrugged.

Such is the joy of living in southern Maryland.

And to think I got excited when I saw they had Lignetics.

4 X 8 utility trailer pulled by a 2002 Toyota 4Runner V6. 1 ton makes the tires rub the wheelwells a little, but gets it home fine.

Jeep TJ, half ton at a time. Some on the front floor and front seat too. ;-P

jeepload.jpg

Brought 2 1/2 tons of these home in it.
totalstocked.jpg

03 F-150 Crew cab FX4 with 3" lift.

Or the wifes 04 Grand Cherokee (4.6 V8) with a trailer.

Attachments

• IMG00069-20100901-1701.jpg
    IMG00069-20100901-1701.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG00190-20100216-1819.jpg
    IMG00190-20100216-1819.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 771
I use a 2002 Ram 2500 W/Plow and tow package. Wish I got a picture when I put two pallets in the truck(just to see if i could) for a friend of mine, good thing i wasn't going far, about a mile.

Glad to see this topic, as I was going to ask about what trailers some are using to haul a ton at a time. I use my old 97 s-10 and haul 30-35 bags in it. Getting ready to retire it and was looking at trailers, either a 5x8 or a 5x10 with a 3500lb axle and 14 inch tires. I want to be able to haul a ton of pellets or gravel. I've looked at the one that richkorn has at TSC, and if it would do what I want would save me a long drive to buy a heavy duty one.

[quote author="dw06" date="1300255887"]Glad to see this topic, as I was going to ask about what trailers some are using to haul a ton at a time. I use my old 97 s-10 and haul 30-35 bags in it. Getting ready to retire it and was looking at trailers, either a 5x8 or a 5x10 with a 3500lb axle and 14 inch tires. I want to be able to haul a ton of pellets or gravel. I've looked at the one that richkorn has at TSC, and if it would do what I want would save me a long drive to buy a heavy duty one.[/quote

not sure about PA but in Mass I believe any trialer over 1999.# needs to have electric brakes. Just in case you only have a 4pin plug.

Don't use pellets but if I did I'd just haul in the truck. 98 Ram 2500. 2 tons wouldn't be much trouble.

With the 95 3500 I had, I hauled a load of gravel one day that put me just under 14,000lbs on the scale. I don't know the weight of the truck empty, but my 98 weighs not much over 7k, so I'd imagine this truck would have been about that as well.

I use my trusty Kia Sedona and an enclosed trailer. Kia is rated for 3500 pounds towing. Trailer is rated to hold 2000 lbs. I've hauled about 6 tons so far and no problem with the 3.8 liter V6.
In many states, you pay a certain amount for your truck tags based on what rating you are claiming > 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc. Most people that I've known go for the cheapest rate, which is 1/2 ton, just like I used to do in Pa. With a tall load of bags sticking up above the bed and the truck squatted down, it is like a red flag to an 'ambitious' cop. AND it is a VERY HEFTY fine. If it were me, I would unstack some and even out and lower the load to take away the cop's temptation, but that's just me. With an enclosed trailer, out of sight and out of mind. ;-P

This works for me..........

Attachments

• P2130042.000.jpg
    P2130042.000.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 899
Honda Civic towing a 4x6 Carry-On utility trailer. 1 ton at a time, but I only have to go 1.5mi @ 35mph and no hills. I worry more about the trailer than the car. Capacity of the trailer is 2000lbs, so I'm maxxed out. I make sure they load the pallet correctly so it has just the right amount of tongue weight. I'm going to get my 2nd ton later this week, I'll take pics when I do.
Flynfrfun

I have a chevy 2500HD desiel, but I use the home depot truck to haul my pellets home... Its free, its thier gas and I dont have to worry about scratching my truck.

I do half ton loads. I pay in full to get the best price and take half and go back for the rest with my 2000 dakota. I'm looking into a trailer, but i'm not sure how the fork lift would work on trailers with those gates, as posted above
http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...g-wood-floor-trailer-2340-lb-capacity-0191160

A bit steep for me, as I have basically no other use for a trailer right now, + dmv /plates / etc.
Plus, i don't even have a hitch, lights/etc, so thats a couple hundred more to get installed.

Since my local Home Depot has been my source for pellets this winter and is on my way home each night, I've been grabbing 10-12 bags in my sedan after work. I figure 12 bags is the equivalent of 3 160lb passengers, so it shouldn't be any stress on my V6. If I find a good deal this spring, I'll be hauling them by the 1/2 ton in my old beat up truck.

JohnnyHaulin said:
dw06 said:
Glad to see this topic, as I was going to ask about what trailers some are using to haul a ton at a time. I use my old 97 s-10 and haul 30-35 bags in it. Getting ready to retire it and was looking at trailers, either a 5x8 or a 5x10 with a 3500lb axle and 14 inch tires. I want to be able to haul a ton of pellets or gravel. I've looked at the one that richkorn has at TSC, and if it would do what I want would save me a long drive to buy a heavy duty one.[/quote

not sure about PA but in Mass I believe any trialer over 1999.# needs to have electric brakes. Just in case you only have a 4pin plug.

I hope your wrong (i am praying lol), I thought it was any trailer rated 10000#s or more....
And I wanna say it was unclear if it was gvwr meaning if your tow vehicle counted towards it?
I have been going through the dmv stuff as I got lucky and scored a tandem but it has mobile home axles on it and it seems to be a lot of talk about those on other sites

Status
Not open for further replies.