What goes around comes around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elijah

Oct 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
I am now a FIRM believer in this old saying.

You may recall that 3-4 months ago I towed my splitter an hour and 15 minutes away to help a single lady/family friend split a bunch of cherry wood. The next week I found a scrounge of almost 2 cords of chinese elm, one of the best firewoods in these parts. Probably my best scrounge. You may also recall that a couple weeks ago I helped a friend change a motor mount on his minivan and sent him home with a good 1/3 of a cord of my split and dry wood, chinese elm. Fast forward to yesterday.

I go to an address listed online of having free firewood. Address was wrong and as I'm walking back to the Land Cruiser with empty trailer in tow, I'm stopped by a guy across the street that asks me if I'm looking for the firewood. He redirects me to the next street down and I find the correct home with 6 rounds sitting at the bottom of the driveway. I knock at the door, no answer. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. I start to drive off and a car stops next to me and a lady asks if I'm looking for the free firewood. It's the homeowner and she tells me the wood is in the back yard. They had a box elder dropped. This is my first time scrounging box elder, love the beautiful red coloring in the center of the rounds. They are very nice people. I load up the trailer to full capacity and there are 4 big giant rounds left that are barely movable. I told the homeowner that I couldn't take these, I just didn't have any room left. I offered to noodle them to smaller pieces, proabably what the fellers should have done, so that they could at least move them to be able to clean up, etc. Get them noodled and the owner tells me that he wants to drop a huge ponderosa pine that is swaying to much in the hard winds. He asks if I'd like that wood as well. OF COURSE! I tell him I'd like to drop the tree as well, as long as I can get my old man to help me. He says he'd much rather have me drop it and give us the wood plus 600 bucks as well.

I was tickled pink, to say the least. As Zig Ziglar always says, if you help enough other people get what they want, you will get what you want.

Moral of the story: if you want more firewood, give some away or help someone with something else that they're a little shy of doing on their own. :)

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 641
Excellent score - good work! Yes, helping out others usually results in help coming back in some way - in addition to feeling good about it! Cheers!

Your a good man, also a great score. Will you have enough room along your fence to stack that? ;-)

Zap

Elijah, you are a good man and good things happen to good people. Ziglar was indeed right.

Well, I don't know if this makes me a 'good man' but I definitely try to do good things and I really do think that the more good you do, the more good comes back to you. I appreciate the compliments, I just hope one day it can be said that I did as much good as my old man did!

The $600 was probably less than half of what he was quoted for removal, by a tree service company there. elijah, good work and good scrounge!

Great to hear those stories of good Karma.
Just don't drop that Ponerosa on the house or an airplane might crash through your roof!

Can't add anything to the other posts but I agree with them!

Congrats!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.