What happened to England Stove's phone....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
been calling for 2 days now the tech support line and the 800 number just has a busy tone.......it doesn't really look like the lines are jammed due to high number of calls.......

Just had a guy stop in that said the same thing.

Webmaster said:
why doesn't it look that way? It makes sense they would be deluged.

started calling early in the day and thoughout different times in the day, same busy signal.........you'd expect if lines are SO jammed a message should be there stating such.....not just a busy signal......

I doubt that they have enough lines and technical staff to handle the busy times. Think about it - tens of thousands of customers buying new stoves in big box stores where the advice they get is often questionable. Add in the MANY 10's of thousands installed previous who need help. I would be very surprised if there were 3 or 4 people there who knew anything near what Mike knows. They are probably limited by phone lines also, and they would not want to put new people on and new lines if those people are not up to speed.

Englander would be wise (and I have suggested this to Mike) to have vastly more online support and customer service. I think Mike is priceless, but he is only one person and the limits of that are easily reached.

Probably left it off the hook because they were tired of listening to customers throw temper tantrums because they can't get their stove delivered when they want it. Just like I'm tired of listening to customers whine because our delivery list is so long. My reponse to the whine is "Did you break your arm last spring? I figured you weren't able to dial the phone all summer and thats why you are calling me NOW" or "Did your mailman die? Beacause I sent you a flyer in March letting you know current prices and NOT TO WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO ORDER!" It's the same ones every year and I don't feel sorry for them. Sad part is they know they screwed up and called too late and they keep calling back every year for the same abuse I doll out to them.Some people never learn.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Probably left it off the hook because they were tired of listening to customers throw temper tantrums because they can't get their stove delivered when they want it. Just like I'm tired of listening to customers whine because our delivery list is so long. My reponse to the whine is "Did you break your arm last spring? I figured you weren't able to dial the phone all summer and thats why you are calling me NOW" or "Did your mailman die? Beacause I sent you a flyer in March letting you know current prices and NOT TO WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO ORDER!" It's the same ones every year and I don't feel sorry for them. Sad part is they know they screwed up and called too late and they keep calling back every year for the same abuse I doll out to them.Some people never learn.

WOW, guess we know who to NOT call for support, glad I don't have one of yours.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
My reponse to the whine is "Did you break your arm last spring? I figured you weren't able to dial the phone all summer and thats why you are calling me NOW" or "Did your mailman die? Beacause I sent you a flyer in March letting you know current prices and NOT TO WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO ORDER!" It's the same ones every year and I don't feel sorry for them. Sad part is they know they screwed up and called too late and they keep calling back every year for the same abuse I doll out to them.Some people never learn.

If you really do say that directly to your customers, I would be surprised you still have some left ;-)

tinkabranc said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
My reponse to the whine is "Did you break your arm last spring? I figured you weren't able to dial the phone all summer and thats why you are calling me NOW" or "Did your mailman die? Beacause I sent you a flyer in March letting you know current prices and NOT TO WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO ORDER!" It's the same ones every year and I don't feel sorry for them. Sad part is they know they screwed up and called too late and they keep calling back every year for the same abuse I doll out to them.Some people never learn.

If you really do say that directly to your customers, I would be surprised you still have some left ;-)

Sounds like someone is just having a really bad day. ( I hope ) Although, come to think of it, I think we have all run into business owners like this. Been to many a place where the proprieter feels as though he is doing you a favor for selling you something. Never could understand why some salespeople like to belittle their customers for not having a total knowledge of a product. If you don't like to answer questions, or despise your customers, than why go into the business of selling. Maybe would be better off getting off the sales floor and trying some assembly work in a pellet stove factory so we can get those hard to deliver stoves, and let a more freindly person deal with the ever important customer. Without the customer, the store is nothing more than a display showcase. Hope you were just venting, we all do.

hossthehermit said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:

WOW, guess we know who to NOT call for support, glad I don't have one of yours.

Not talking about support or service. Talking about a reoccuring sale that happens every year from the same customers that procrastinate and wait till the last minute and wonder why they can't get an immediate delivery of wood. The same customers I have told every fall for 20+ years to "call me in the spring". I don't have a magic wand that I wave and 1000-3000 cord of wood drops into my yard ready to sell. It takes time to process.

I don't put up with any BULL from my customers . I have been stiffed for well over $10,000 of firewood in my lifetime. Have had to double truck wood because no check was left on door (I don't dump anymore unless I have money in hand). Been sued for driving across a neighbors lawn to get wood around back of a customers house, when my customer told me it was alright with his neighbor and then lied when the neighbor asked if he told me it was ok. Had people order wood and telll them it will be 4 weeks only to have them call 10 days later and lie to me saying they ordered 4 weeks ago, demanding wood NOW.I have heard it all in 20 years and I don't tollerate BS. I deliver a quality product in a professonal ,timely manner and have serviced the same customers for 20+ years. There must be some reason they keep coming back , some people just can't get it together and I'm gonna let them know. It's the difference between a leader and a follower. Don't get me wrong , 95% of my customers are grateful for my services, it's the other 5% that ruin your day.

Wow! here we go again with Bashing Englander and Englander stoves, Pretty obvious this site and Administrater love to Bash Englander Unreal Sounds like a bunch of Old Hens in a Hen house to me.
Add a few posts and then pull the thread....................

Huh?
Do you have a way to get through to them?
Are you saying that the person who started the thread should be pleased about calling for two days and getting busy signals?

Please help out the thread, and if you have opinions as to my opinion, please PM them to me or keep to yourself.

Thanks.....

PS. The purpose of this site is to help people - it is not to gloss over problems that people run into. That is the job of manufacturers and dealers and sales people.

My no means I am trying to bash englander, no way...!!

As webmaster said it is just very strange that if you call for support for 2 days at least you'd expect to hear a recording message saying that lines are jammed and that the wait time may be longer than usual...............that's customer service.

To LEES WOOD-CO, as others mentioned, I wouldn't be your customer not even close.

This is my humble opinion being one that drives the business.........the customer...!!!

I am and have been VERY grateful in having Mike here in the forums, he's being one of the best (from the business side) ALWAYS willing to help and all that.

Enough said.............

Ah, customer service is a complicated thing. I'll bet most people would take some of LEEs steps after they ended up not getting paid for tons of woods. We NEVER left a stove at a house without a payment - well, once we did, and then the people tried to not pay. They told me right to my face that they had the stove, and I could......go pound sand. Luckily, I had their cc number from the deposit and charged it up myself!

But back to the thread - this is not a thread to bash, it is a thread to help. If anyone looks closely they will see me say the same thing about Harman in the last 24 hours - that a pellet stove buyer often cannot expect immediate service! I also stated this is true with MOST brands.

Basic common sense says that Englander cannot keep up during the couple weeks when everyone fires up their stove at once! It would be foolish for them to ramp up to that level, because then you would have people sitting around the rest of the year. That is why I suggested more on-line resources to Mike (and every other maker, of course).

Mike has his email address published here on the board, so if you look him up you can attempt an email. That is another way to possibly get through.
A warm day always helps (maybe today!).

And, if the problem is solvable without parts - try a new thread here - lots of informed folks are glad to help others.

As far as Bashing, I leave that for people or companies that intentionally screw the customer....for instance, VC screwing the customers out of warranty. Most other stuff comes in at the level of "suggestions" or "improvements". I like to think that we (all of you) do our little part to help stove companies improve. After all, most companies are not in touch with the end users, and the board provides a "focus group" for what is going on out there.

Basic common sense says that Englander cannot keep up during the couple weeks when everyone fires up their stove at once! It would be foolish for them to ramp up to that level, because then you would have people sitting around the rest of the year. That is why I suggested more on-line resources to Mike (and every other maker, of course

Exactly!
First time the snow flies here I usually get 100+ calls on that day from people wanting a delivery "NOW" because they failed to prepare. I call this "Burger King Mentality". " Have it your way" is Burger Kings motto , not mine or many other business'.

Geek I don't think your thread was meant to "bash". You were just wondering if others might have been having the same trouble getting through. Like Craig said keep trying because they are probably just swamped being we have had a few cold days when everyone is firing up.

If you lived here I gaurantee you wood be my customer IF you prepared and didn't wait till the last minute. My low price and service can't be beat. 21 years in business and the largest supplier in 100 mile radius, I must be doing something right. IF you called late in the fall and expect me to jump through hoops for you when I allready have a 6 week delivery list and try to get me to move you up on the list in front of other patient customers your going to be asked "Where were you in the spring? I think you better check your front steps,your mailman must be lying there dead because you didn't get my flyer in March ......." Yes, I have used this line many times because I DON'T WANT customers who think they can "Have it your way" . I'm not Burger King and don't tollerate BS !

trust me, I've been prepared and did my math ahead of the game, I actually purchased my pellets at end of April.....so that gives you a sense ......

BTW - I don't think Englander sells stoves directly to end user but to the dealers (big box stores) so your initial comment about customers calling where's the store was just not fitting this topic, that's all.

Yes, I was calling them for a technical advice and was JUST wondering of others knew about something wrong with their lines.

......and this is my last post in this thread.........

Status
Not open for further replies.