What I have accomplished so far, before even putting the furnace in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
Figured I would post pics of what I have done over the past 60 days. I think I am a year, maybe even 2, ahead right now. Thing is, I really need to start getting this stuff stacked. Today was my last cutting/splitting day until I get all of this stacked so I can assess the remaining room available for wood. Really looking forward to a wood shed in the spring. Leaving 4 locust trees until the spring and passing on a 30" downed white oak from Irene. Passing on another 6+ trees at a farm I hunt too. It hurts to pass on all this stuff, but quite honestly, right now I need a little break from the cutting and splitting. I'm really not looking forward to the stacking either.

Think I got just a little over 3 cords of red/white oak this week, which is that large pile on the side of the house right by the truck.

Alright, so it looks like I can only submit 2 pics at a time. Sheez. More to come I guess.

Attachments

• Hearth 1.jpg
    Hearth 1.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 542
  • Hearth 2.jpg
    Hearth 2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 530
Here are a couple more pics.

Attachments

• Hearth 3.jpg
    Hearth 3.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 513
  • Hearth 4.jpg
    Hearth 4.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 507
And a couple more.

Attachments

• Hearth 5.jpg
    Hearth 5.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Hearth 6.jpg
    Hearth 6.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 508
And a couple more, which I think are of the racks I built. Some of the racks are going to go up on the driveway where those piles are at the end of the driveway.

Attachments

• Hearth 7.jpg
    Hearth 7.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 551
  • Hearth 8.jpg
    Hearth 8.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 519
  • Hearth 9.jpg
    Hearth 9.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 515
This is what I cut, split, and stacked early in August. It is going to end up being my secondary wood for the year. I got some well seasoned wood from a friend and some from a CL ad, and that is going to be the first to go this year and it will be stacked right by the door to the basement.

Attachments

• Hearth 10.jpg
    Hearth 10.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 516
  • Hearth 11.jpg
    Hearth 11.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 509
That's impressive! We've got some Locus around our place in SoVT. I'm always amazed by how the bark looks; it's really thick.

fabsroman said:
Figured I would post pics of what I have done over the past 60 days. I think I am a year, maybe even 2, ahead right now. Thing is, I really need to start getting this stuff stacked. Today was my last cutting/splitting day until I get all of this stacked so I can assess the remaining room available for wood. Really looking forward to a wood shed in the spring. Leaving 4 locust trees until the spring and passing on a 30" downed white oak from Irene. Passing on another 6+ trees at a farm I hunt too. It hurts to pass on all this stuff, but quite honestly, right now I need a little break from the cutting and splitting. I'm really not looking forward to the stacking either.

Think I got just a little over 3 cords of red/white oak this week, which is that large pile on the side of the house right by the truck.

Alright, so it looks like I can only submit 2 pics at a time. Sheez. More to come I guess.

fabsroman; nice work on the wood. Have fun stacking :coolgrin: I remember the year I cut then split everything in the woods (left it on the woods over the winter) then thought I needed more so I would be ahead a couple of years (bought a load of beech that February) cut and split that then in the spring had the task of stacking it all.

I think by the time I was done stacking and cutting more it was heating season again, I said never again. So tomorrow I'll be stacking the beech and sugar maple I cut last winter, I guess I never learn.

Zap

Wow you've been very busy! Now it's time to stack it all but it goes pretty fast once you get a rhythm going.. I find it easier in cold weather..

Good luck!

Ray

Fab racks fabman, did you make them like that so you could bungee tarps over the top?

weatherguy said:
Fab racks fabman, did you make them like that so you could bungee tarps over the top?

I made them like that so I could drape a tarp over them and so the top 2x4s would add some stability to the racks. I hadn't thought about using bungee cords, but that makes a heck of a lot of sense. Thanks for the idea.

The only ones that are going to get covered are the ones right by the door and the other two that are already full. The two empty ones are going to the driveway, along with a lot more racks that I need to build, to hold next year's wood, and hopefully, 2013/2014's wood too. I'm not going to cover any of those.

Nice work there. Good to see you geting ahead, considering that is the most common mistake made. WTG keep it up.

Shawn

Very nice! I am glad to see newcomers start getting wood before getting the stove. It seems backwards (counterintuitive) but that's the way to go!

Andrew

any ideal how many cords you might have? I went from 1 1/2 cords left from last year, to just over 9 this year, my goal was 12, taking a small break now. Great job getting all that wood, can't wait to see it all stacked

fabsroman, that was a lot of work of which you can be very proud. On the bungee cords, you could also get some eyehooks to screw into the 2 x 4's. Then you have something to fasten the cords to.

Swedishchef said:
Very nice! I am glad to see newcomers start getting wood before getting the stove. It seems backwards (counterintuitive) but that's the way to go!

Andrew

Oh, I actually have the furnace. It came right at the end of July, and that is when I bought the saw. It has taken us this long to get the natural gas line put in for the backup. That line will be going in the week of October 10th according to the utility and then the furnace will be going in. I will be so happy when I set that first piece of wood ablaze. I will be so sad too. Like I said, me and this wood have a bond now.

jimosufan said:
any ideal how many cords you might have? I went from 1 1/2 cords left from last year, to just over 9 this year, my goal was 12, taking a small break now. Great job getting all that wood, can't wait to see it all stacked

I am guessing 10 cords, but I am not completely sure. I know I have 2 cords stacked and I have absolutely no clue how many cords are in the piles. I think the red/white oak is another 3+ cords because it was 6 1/2 truckloads that were stacked really high. I have lost track of the number of truckloads.

By the way, I cannot wait to see it all stacked too. That is going to take some serious work though because I have to make some more racks. Next year is going to be a breeze compared to this year.

Like you, I am taking a break from cutting and splitting right now. The guy I got this wood from needs to cut some more trees down to clear the lot and he is going to have them stacked on the side of the lot for me. He is a really nice guy. Even helped me load the truck up yesterday. Met another guy over there too and he is really nice too. This past week has been really good, except for being so tired from cutting and splitting all this wood. I need the break to recharge my batteries.

My goal was to have 15 cords on hand by the end of the year. We'll see what happens. Hoping to have 15 to 20 cords on hand by the end of next year.

Backwoods Savage said:
fabsroman, that was a lot of work of which you can be very proud. On the bungee cords, you could also get some eyehooks to screw into the 2 x 4's. Then you have something to fasten the cords to.

Thanks.

Regarding the bungee cords, last night after reading that post I actually thought about getting some eye hooks and putting them on the bottom 2x4's. However, I am worried that putting them in would weaken the 2x4's. They are carrying the majority of the weight of the firewood. I might try to put them on the underside of some of the new racks, but I am not too sure about that either. I know one thing though, I am not unstacking those racks so I can put the eye hooks underneath the 2x4's. Who knows, maybe I can squeeze them in there right now with the 1 1/2" inches of room I have under them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe I'll try it on one rack and see if it makes it a year without splitting.

Those wood racks make a real clean setup, there. Yes, wood heating is a lot of work, but in the dead of winter your bones will thank you for it. :lol:

chvymn99 said:
Those wood racks make a real clean setup, there. Yes, wood heating is a lot of work, but in the dead of winter your bones will thank you for it. :lol:

That is good, because my bones have been cussing at me for the past 45 days. LOL They should get some relief during the winter.

Looks great. Always feels good to accomplish your goal. I have about 11 cord C/S/S and a Log Length load of about 3-4 Cord left to process.

I built my stacks after seeing someone on here post a pic. Built my 1st set back in May. Now I have 8 up at the house and I am building 6 back at my Barn.

Congrats on everything. Gonna be a good Winter.

Attachments

• 8 Firewood Racks.jpg
    8 Firewood Racks.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Basement install 7 (Wood from house roof).jpg
    Basement install 7 (Wood from house roof).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 199
DexterDay said:
Looks great. Always feels good to accomplish your goal. I have about 11 cord C/S/S and a Log Length load of about 3-4 Cord left to process.

I built my stacks after seeing someone on here post a pic. Built my 1st set back in May. Now I have 8 up at the house and I am building 6 back at my Barn.

Yeah, I built mine after I saw yours. I'm the guy that asked where you got those brackets at. After seeing the price of the brackets, my cheap self decided to go with a jado joint in lieu of the bracket. Really nice place you have there. Had no idea that it was so open in the back. Wish I could have a barn here, but that is against the zoning regs. That, and any garage over 15' tall that is not part of the primary structure. I was going to build a free standing 4 car garage with a second story, but that isn't going to happen after checking out the regs. I can't get my 100 acre farm on the eastern shore fast enough.

fabsroman said:
DexterDay said:

........I can't get my 100 acre farm on the eastern shore fast enough.

On the Farm thing....Me and you both.

I have had several people ask me about the racks. So I apologize for not remembering. Anyways, looks awesome! CONGRATS.

Nice work. With that setup on the slab, I'm not sure I'd bother with a shed. I assume the furnace is right inside one of those doors? That's about as good as it gets.

DexterDay said:
fabsroman said:
DexterDay said:

........I can't get my 100 acre farm on the eastern shore fast enough.

On the Farm thing....Me and you both.

I have had several people ask me about the racks. So I apologize for not remembering. Anyways, looks awesome! CONGRATS.

I am sure that you have had several people ask you about the racks. Heck, there were several of us just in that one thread that asked you about them. It was a thread about making your wife happy.

From the looks of your place, it looks like you live pretty close to farm land. It looks like it is really open over there. Of course, it looks pretty much the same in my neighborhood too but we aren't living on a farm.

SolarAndWood said:
Nice work. With that setup on the slab, I'm not sure I'd bother with a shed. I assume the furnace is right inside one of those doors? That's about as good as it gets.

Yep, the furnace is right inside the doors. I'm really not complainting about that. It is about 10 feet from the door in a straight line. Maybe 12 feet, but not any more than that.

The problem I am envisioning with stacking the wood on that concrete patio slab is that it will not get enough sunlight or wind since it is under the deck and it will be sheltered from the wind on two sides.

Mind you, I am going to put most of the new wood I cut up on the driveway for a year or more and it will see the full sunlight throughout the day and it is windy as heck up on that driveway.

Then, the long term plans are to tear out that concrete patio and the deck and replace it with a paver patio/outdoor kitchen and a maintenance free deck. Then again, the plans are to put in a 40x40 addition too with a 4 car garage on the bottom. I have lots of plans for this place. Just need to find the time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.