What if my chainsaw cuts outwards now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pascale

Sep 27, 2012
Hi,

I posted a thread last week about the problems I had with my chainsaw:
Problems with my chainsaw

This weekend I checked if the chain was facing in the right direction ;) (it was), cleaned the saw as much as I could and tried to sharpen the chain as explained on the video (link in the thread above).

It's running better than it was before but now every log over 4 inches that I cut has an outward curve in it.:rolleyes:
I'm trying to figure out what side of the chain is sharpened too much, can you help?
I could try to resharpen the other side, then.

Thanks again.

Pascale

Do you have a micrometer or small crescent wrench to measure the cutters? When you are sharpening check to make make sure you are keeping the cutters on both sides the same length. You can also go back now and take a small crescent wrench to check. Simply set it to the length of one side cutter then check to see if the others are the same.

I often have the same problem, and posted the same question just a few weeks ago. One factor I had never considered was the bar. When I flipped my bar upside down, the problem was drastically reduced.

TE

If the chain is done right and you flip your bar often you should be able to cut a 55 inch stright line. Free hand chain fileing is good enough to touch chains up, but once its off you need to machine it just to correct it. Or, your going to chase your own tail and spend more time with a chain to doing firewood.

147 drive links in 55 inch red oak....If your off just a tad its really going to show up at the bottom. ;)

z.jpg

Reactions: pen
This one was done on a machine. But, what you want to do with hand filing is the samething. Shine the whole tooth 2-3 even stokes is enough. If its not your doing somthing wrong.

cutter resize.jpg

I agree that it could be the bar. If the rails have spread, have burrs ect, it allows the chain to flop sideways a bit and cut crooked. Every time you sharpen the chain, flip the bar. That way it spreads out the wear and helps prevent the issue you described. Also, if the chain is dull and you are forcing the saw that can cause it to cut a bit crooked.

:cool: You laugh but I've looked @ some peoples " won't cut " chain was on Backwards!!

Bar flipping helps!
Does the chain have a lot of side to side play when on the bar?
The bar might be spread to much to one side.
Good luck!

Reactions: smokinj
I had that issue a couple times. It went away after I brought the chain to the chainsaw place and they sharpened it. Maybe one day, I too will be able to machine sharpen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.