What is a good price for this used stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveo

Jun 6, 2008
Maine
I am looking to add a second pellet stove to my house and found a Quadra-Fire MT Vernon Pellet Stove that is two years old with all of the pipe and thermostat. Do you think $2000 is a good deal?

Steveo said:
I am looking to add a second pellet stove to my house and found a Quadra-Fire MT Vernon Pellet Stove that is two years old with all of the pipe and thermostat. Do you think $2000 is a good deal?

If I lived close to you, I'd say $400 was a good price!!!!!! Since I don't, $2K certainly sounds fair. That's a good deal.

The MT Vernon AE is a great multi fuel stove, BUT I would want to see it run and maybe have someone you trust who is familiar with this stove give it a once over. There have been some issues with the early produced units and you would want to make sure it has the latest upgrades done as they are real expensive to pay for if they are wanted or needed. $2000.00 is a little high for it in my opinion but they are just south of double that when new now. If it is truly only 2 years old most of the updates should have been done or came with them from the factory.

Why are the present owners getting rid of it?????

I have a insert and it is one of the first produced units made in October 2006. It has had it's issues mostly the control boards/thermostat to get it to get the latest features of the new ones. The stove has never let me down to the point I could not get it running again by jumping a burnt snap switch or replacing a burnt up igniter. I probably have close to 15+ tons of pellets and some corn run through it and just recently have been getting a intermittent auger jam issue. I think the auger motor is getting tired and have a new one on order, $106.00, to have on hand when it totally fails.
In all the stove is a heat monster when set up correctly, kept clean and fuel consumption vs heat output is excellent. Would I buy another one, Yes but only after seeing what else is out there at the time I was looking. I do think it is one of the best looking and running old school looking stoves out on the market.

What color is it? I have customers coming in here telling me they are seeing MT Vernon AE's in enamel up near $5k. Ditto on what Ford said. Some of the early ones were hell with that little sliding ash dump thing

Status
Not open for further replies.